Trouble With gas Leaking from 426

11 replies to this topic
  • bhuss69

Posted February 06, 2009 - 03:48 PM

So my '00 426 recently required some work done on it which did not involve the gas tank or carb, but it did sit for about 5 months. Once I thought the bike was completely fixed I started it up and let it run for about 20 minutes (about 5 with the choke and the rest idling with intermittent revs). Following that I took the bike for a spin around the neighborhood, when I came back there was a puddle of gas on top of the lower part of the engine on the right side of the bike. I saw that the gas tank was dripping but couldnt tell where it was coming from. Any ideas on what might be going on would be a big help.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2009 - 03:56 PM

There are 3 possibilities:

• Petcock leaks.
  • Carb flooding due to dried out or dirty needle seat
  • Gas tank cracked

• bhuss69

Posted February 06, 2009 - 04:01 PM

I'd assume the carb flooding would be the most likely explanation as to why the leaking started once I took the bike for a spin right?

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2009 - 04:12 PM

That follows logically but for the fact that you said the tank was leaking.

• 642MX

Posted February 06, 2009 - 05:20 PM

I've read about 426's and 400's with cracked tanks. The crack may have opened up if you gripped the tank with your knees?...

Also, I would never let a YZF (or any performance 4 stroke) idle for more than 2 minutes. 20 minutes is way too long, your going to over-heat it and possibly cause damage doing that. They need lots of air flow and they don't like to idle.

• bhuss69

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:57 AM

Yea the cracked tank would make sense since i tend to squeeze the tank and sit toward the base of it. Is there any way to confirm a crack other than a physical inspection?

I will definitely never let the bike idle that long again, thanks for the advice. I guess the only reason i thought letting it idle that long would be ok is because it was around 38* outside and my garage was pretty close to that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2009 - 08:17 AM

Yea the cracked tank would make sense since i tend to squeeze the tank and sit toward the base of it. Is there any way to confirm a crack other than a physical inspection?

No, but if you CAREFULLY pressurize the tank with about 3-5 psi of air, it should pretty much remove all doubt. Always use extreme caution around gasoline.

• bhuss69

Posted March 12, 2009 - 10:51 AM

So as an update i did a physical inspection of the tank and sure as anything there was a crack on the bottom section where the seat covers the tank. the crack was in the area that is rounded so the tank can sit on the frame. I would think that this is a fairly common problem since the crack was very symmetrical.....Now that I have that problem solved i was wondering what type of tanks you would reccomend. I saw the high capacity acerbics tank but the color bother me as well as how far it covers the top end of the engine. That aside what would be the best tank to get?

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:45 AM

Clarke sells reproductions of the stock tanks. If you don't like the really big ones, that may be your best bet. They used to also have one that was about 2.6 that didn't look too much different than stock.

• FEAROFRUNNER

Posted May 29, 2009 - 06:53 AM

the crack was in the area that is rounded so the tank can sit on the frame. I would think that this is a fairly common problem since the crack was very symmetrical

I can vouch for the exact same problem in the exact same area. Two tiny symmetrical cracks on each side at the back of the tank by the seat/frame. It’s kind of ironic that we both have 2000 426’s and 9 years later they are failing at the same time. After looking at how much an OEM tank cost I think I’ll try patching that area for before I drop $400+. :crazy:

• chikn munky

Posted May 31, 2009 - 05:19 AM

Yea,mine cracked and started leaking yesterday. This is the second 426 that I have had .Both bikes have done it just a couple rides after complete tear down and restore.First bike I had the frame powder coated white and the leaking fuel turned it yellow (never pc another one).This time I did a base coat clear coat white ,allthough it did'nt leak that much frame still looks good..
Can't remember where I seen it but Clarke replacement $195.00

• FEAROFRUNNER

Posted June 01, 2009 - 06:18 AM

Yea,mine cracked and started leaking yesterday. This is the second 426 that I have had .Both bikes have done it just a couple rides after complete tear down and restore.First bike I had the frame powder coated white and the leaking fuel turned it yellow (never pc another one).This time I did a base coat clear coat white ,allthough it did'nt leak that much frame still looks good..
Can't remember where I seen it but Clarke replacement $195.00

See when I heard that the Clarke or IMS was the only way to go I was kind of pissed. To be honest both of the large tanks that they sell make me want to punch babies they're so ugly :eek:. I think it was gray that said they have a stock tank replacement at the Clarke site and sure as shit they did. still going to be $200+ but they have the option of a black tank... :crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.