Five Valve Head

27 replies to this topic
  • DRX350

Posted February 07, 2009 - 07:46 AM

Lets not forget about the Ferrari 5 valve V-8. Any one want to adjust a 40 valve engine? How 'bout a valve job...

• RCannon

Posted February 07, 2009 - 08:02 AM

Ouch... If you needed valves, it would be best just to trade it in....

I know its not a streetbike thread, but what sort of lifespan could someone expect for these valves on the streetbike? It does sound like a rebuild is out of the question.

• DRX350

Posted February 07, 2009 - 08:06 AM

40,000 miles or so if maintained and adjusted.

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2009 - 12:34 PM

All the comment about the yz's 5 valve engine and know one has mention the awesome reliability, I owned A 2000 yz426 that never had one engine problem or needed a valve adjustment sold it in 2008.Now I have a newer yz450 and love it.

The reliability has nothing to do with the design as far as 5 vs. 4 valves, and everything to do with the choice of materials for valves, seats, hard coatings, etc., and with the high quality of manufacture. It's really not rocket science.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HONDA NO MORE

Posted February 08, 2009 - 07:27 PM

The reliability has nothing to do with the design as far as 5 vs. 4 valves, and everything to do with the choice of materials for valves, seats, hard coatings, etc., and with the high quality of manufacture. It's really not rocket science.

Actually, I work as a rocket scientist and this stuff is a lot more high tech (not to mention interesting) than the outdated SH!T I deal with at work everyday. Our sport has seen a lot of technological advances in the last few years. The way I see it we are riding the equivalent of at least a stock car for around $5000, pretty cool if you ask me.

• Brad_Aus

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:00 PM

Lets not forget about the Ferrari 5 valve V-8. Any one want to adjust a 40 valve engine? How 'bout a valve job...

we have a 40 valve engine, lamborghini 10cyl 4-valve... thank god for hydrualic lash adjusters

• erickdj

Posted February 08, 2009 - 10:41 PM

The way I see it we are riding the equivalent of at least a stock car for around $5000, pretty cool if you ask me.

yeah, that is very cool. these 450 engines really put a smile on anyone's face, or it totally terrifies them.

• DRX350

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:26 AM

we have a 40 valve engine, lamborghini 10cyl 4-valve... thank god for hydrualic lash adjusters

Or how 'bout that Cadillac Sixteen concept? 64 valves anyone?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.