Is my bike shop trying to rip me off wth my yzf?

6 replies to this topic
  • goldy1980

Posted February 06, 2009 - 01:29 AM

I have taken my yz400f to my local shop as i bought the bike as a non runner and got it for a very good price. The bike has a great spark, tons of compression. The only thing was that it had been standing for 6 months so i thought it may have just been a carb clean out job. However it was'nt, and still would'nt start. So i took it to the shop and the guy has told me it may be the valves and wants to charge me $200 just to check them. Is this the case or is he adding money on needlessly as i don't have a clue about 4 strokes.

• rufusz

Posted February 06, 2009 - 03:49 AM

He can charge whatever he wants, but it's sure he wouldn't get that amount from me :)
Get a manual and do it yourself, with the 200 go and buy something for your bike. It's not hard at all!

• DPW

Posted February 06, 2009 - 05:17 AM

check the valves yourself>>> here's how with pics for a YZ250F so double check numbers with your manual... http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=564726

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted February 06, 2009 - 05:30 AM

WOW - that's one high shop rate - checking valves is about half an hour of work - an hour if you are slow (and that's putting the bike back together), Shimming adds about 1 more hour, so I can see charging 2 hours to ADJUST valves, but not CHECKING. $80 an hour and add the cost of a couple of shims and you might be looking at 200. Although most shops should just swap shims straight up free of charge - we have a guy near us that will do that no problem.

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2009 - 07:54 AM

If he's going to check them by disassembling the head, I guess that's a fair price. Ask him what he charges for a leak down test and a valve clearance check.

• tnl

Posted February 06, 2009 - 03:41 PM

What's the hourly rate for labor???

• rm125ridwe

Posted February 06, 2009 - 03:48 PM

$200 would buy you a nice tool or two :) man i love buying tools lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.