426 for sale question

5 replies to this topic
  • nozzlejockey

Posted February 05, 2009 - 05:42 PM

Hey, I have been gone from thumpertalk for about 5 yrs due to kids and the like. I now have a 14yr old that has a 2001yz 125 and wants to ride with dad. I am looking at a 426 with a new head/titanium valves/hotcams/wetsump/ohlins shock/new bottom end/and the likes. I think I can get it for 2k. What do you guys think. Should I got for a 2004 CRF450 or go for the old reliable 426??
Thanks for the info.
Later

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 05, 2009 - 07:34 PM

Hey, I have been gone from thumpertalk for about 5 yrs due to kids and the like. I now have a 14yr old that has a 2001yz 125 and wants to ride with dad. I am looking at a 426 with a new head/titanium valves/hotcams/wetsump/ohlins shock/new bottom end/and the likes. I think I can get it for 2k. What do you guys think. Should I got for a 2004 CRF450 or go for the old reliable 426??
Thanks for the info.
Later

I would go for a 426 but not that one. This is for many reasons. Wet sump conversions are a no no on the 426 unless you change oil every hour seat time. This is because it takes away half a quart of oil that would normally be reserved in the oil tank. This may be the reason for all of these new parts. Head, valves and bottom ends going out on a 426 are not frequent, and I would blame this on the wet sump, because big end bearings usually fry due to no oil. Do not go with honda unless you want to replace valves every year. I would wait and keep looking for 426's, that are clean and stock. You can get a totally stock one for 2k like I did that has never had the cases split and you know what has been done to it and why. Hope this helps

• Florida_426

Posted February 06, 2009 - 09:32 AM

A lot of nice parts and modifications on the 426 but as Noob said the wet sump conversion causes me some heart burn. You cut the oil volume a good bit with this conversion and need to change oil more frequently. If the bike is raced you may need to change the oil after every race day.

Can the bike be put back to dry sump stock condition? If all the parts are there and you could return the oil system to original than try and get him down to $1500.00 to $1800.00. Just my thoughts. Let grayracer chime in here for more sure fire gouge.

Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2009 - 09:38 AM

I wouldn't touch it. Too much history. You can find all kinds of clean 426's for $1500-1800, and older YZ450's for around $2200.

• 642MX

Posted February 06, 2009 - 01:41 PM

I'd walk too. Sounds like I headache waiting to happen.

• wr400schek

Posted February 06, 2009 - 03:50 PM

I am also 14 years old and I wated to chase my dad as well so he sold my 125 and bought me a 2003 yz450 and put a 46 rear sproket on it for me and i just love the bike.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.