426 Valve ?

5 replies to this topic
  • PAKDXYZ

Posted February 05, 2009 - 10:48 AM

I just checked my valves today, all were within spec but they all were near the limit on the tight end, I am leaving them for now, my question for those with experience with this is 1. Will I be ok untill next winter with them like this( I ride an average of 6 or 7 hours a month and its all trails, no track). And 2. Next time I check the valves I plan on adjusting them regardless, would it be a good Idea to replace the valves and have the seats done being I dont really know the history of them. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2009 - 11:08 AM

I just checked my valves today, all were within spec but they all were near the limit on the tight end, ...

That's how they were built originally, and it means that they very likely have not moved at all.

As to how much longer they will stay that way, I'm afraid there's no way to know for sure, and nothing that you can really gauge it by. The reason is that neither the seats or the valves really wear much at all in a YZF. You did not mention the year, but if it's an '01 or '02, it has titanium valves in it. Titanium can't be hardened effectively without making it brittle, so the faces are hard coated, usually with a titanium nitride derivative, which is exceptionally hard and long wearing. The trouble is that since the coating is so hard, it can't be easily ground or machined once it's applied, so it's applied in very thin layers, often less than .01mm (.0004"). Once the coating wears through, the valve wears very rapidly, and will sink to less than zero clearance in 4-5 hours or less.

What this means is that unless the seat wears, any reduction in valve clearance usually means new valves are needed in short order. The way to know is to shim, then follow up with a clearance check after the next ride. If it has not moved, it may have been seat wear, and may be OK. If it moves again in one ride, it's a bad valve.

As I say, because the coating is so thin, there is no way that I know of to predict when it will wear through, so you just have to take your best guess, or wait for something to happen.

BTW, the 2000 model used stainless valves, and these can be used to rebuild the '01/02 head if the springs and retainers from the '00 are also used. The advantage is that they are far less expensive, and they last longer after they begin to wear.

• honyam83

Posted February 05, 2009 - 04:22 PM

What is the disadvantage to using the ss valves. I have an 01 426 that I'm redoing the top end on. The valves were very tight some of the any way(exhaust <.03 and .2) intake (.09 .06 .15). I don't know what they look like yet. I'm waiting on a spring compressor. If they are worn through will I be able to tell visually? I'm breaking the bank with the parts that I've ordered already if I have to replace the valves I may be in the dog house if you know that I mean. I may have to replace the with ss for cost reasons. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2009 - 08:38 PM

There are no practical disadvantages for your type of riding. I can tell you right now at the clearance you're showing that the exhausts are likely shot. The center intake most likely, too. Visually, any wear you can see is too much.

Order from somewhere like the TT OEM Store. You'll save a lot over retail. The stainless valves are $13 each for the intakes, and $30 for the exhausts instead of $85 and $95.

• pscook

Posted February 06, 2009 - 09:23 AM

There are no practical disadvantages for your type of riding. I can tell you right now at the clearance you're showing that the exhausts are likely shot. The center intake most likely, too. Visually, any wear you can see is too much.

Order from somewhere like the TT OEM Store. You'll save a lot over retail. The stainless valves are $13 each for the intakes, and $30 for the exhausts instead of $85 and $95.

When replacing the Ti valves (and springs and keepers) with SS, do the guides need to be replaced as well?

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2009 - 09:28 AM

No. The guides are the same. The SS valves and the Ti valves are dimensionally the same.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.