Sold my bike, have questions on a new one

43 replies to this topic
  • yz400fdude

Posted February 06, 2009 - 11:46 AM

I'm going to go look at the yz450f on Sunday. I offered him what I had and he took it, I simply did not have enough to pay the asking. It looks clean to me. What do you all think?

• husqy360

Posted February 06, 2009 - 12:20 PM

look very clean

• yz400fdude

Posted February 06, 2009 - 12:28 PM

I'm guessing these new bikes don't have a compression release either, that will be handy. I will definitely enjoy that. It was always fun watching people try to start my old bike though, only people that really knew their bikes could figure it out.

• PAdaytonaman

Posted February 06, 2009 - 02:11 PM

They are asking $3200 for an '06 yz125, are you sure about that $3200 price on a new '06 yz450f?

Pretty sure

610 282 4800 ask for Dan in Sales

• husqy360

Posted February 06, 2009 - 02:26 PM

I'm guessing these new bikes don't have a compression release either, that will be handy. I will definitely enjoy that. It was always fun watching people try to start my old bike though, only people that really knew their bikes could figure it out.

they have auto compression release, my 14 years old sister can start my 450.

• MX1967

Posted February 06, 2009 - 08:13 PM

Here's a pic of a new 06 just like mine. That rear sprocket on that bike looks like a Sunstar but not the stock one like in this photo.http://www.totalmoto...aha-YZ450Fb.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2009 - 08:55 PM

That's a Yamaha marketing photo from when the bike was first introduced. It is no indication of what the production bikes came with.

• Drav

Posted February 07, 2009 - 01:42 AM

It's what my 06 50th anniv. 450 came with...

• MX1967

Posted February 07, 2009 - 02:34 PM

That is exactly how my YZ looked when I picked it up. Yamaha has used the same rear stock sprocket style for years..I think they changed the bolt pattern in 99, but my stock 06 sprocket is the same as the 09's. Again, that rear sprocket isn't stock! I can't find 1 pic of a new stock YZ with that style of rear sprocket but plenty with the true oem style.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 08, 2009 - 05:47 PM

Well this bike has a lien title...So unless the owner clears that up I won't be buying this bike. I'm going to explore some other options because I found another bike I'm interested in. It has been raced but its in good shape and I think its been maintained well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz400fdude

Posted February 09, 2009 - 10:20 AM

The other bike I was interested in sold. So back to this bike. I called the DMV and had them run the VIN number and there is no lien. So apparently who ever had a lien on the title never got a lien release or what ever you do when you pay it off? Can you guys tell me how that works? I thought the bank kept the original title until the lien was paid in full?

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2009 - 10:41 AM

Can you guys tell me how that works? I thought the bank kept the original title until the lien was paid in full?

Only in California. It depends on what kind of lien it was. A lender's lien shows the bank/lender as lienholder on the title, and must be signed off by the lienholder on the title, or if they are outside the area, a lien release form must be completed. The DMV will have no record of the lien other than on the title document itself, although in the case of a lost or destroyed title, it would show on the replacement document if not previously cleared by a mailed-in form, etc. The actual title would still need a release signature for any lien showing on the face.

Mechanic's liens never show on the title document itself, but are recorded with the DMV, and must be cleared via release form by the lienholder before the title can be transferred.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 09, 2009 - 12:35 PM

So as long as they get a lien release paper from the bank its good? I was told the DMV would be able to tell if the bike still had a lien on it, I guess that was incorrect.

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2009 - 12:50 PM

There again, I can only go by California. If the DMV doesn't show one, it was probably cleared by mail and no new title issued reflecting the change. If they issue you a state document that says you own it (a title), then you own it, and that's that.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 09, 2009 - 12:54 PM

I'm going to check with my bank and the bank that this lien was through. The whole lien deal is new territory to me. I'm trying to be extra careful.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 09, 2009 - 08:13 PM

How many hours do you figure are on it?

• yz400fdude

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:15 PM

Well I now have a new bike. I ended up with a 2007 yz450f in white and silver. I paid considerably more than I wanted to but I got a 2007 with under 10 hours on it(supposedly), some gear(helmet, googles 2 pairs made by Oakley, troy lee riding pants/jersey), new paddle tire, new o-ring chain, and the service manual, plus some other little things. It is very clean and had a clear title! It was a California bike so I need to change the jetting, it was a little jerky but still very powerful. I'm not sure what to change the jets to or the needle setting. So far I only took it on a quick spin through a neighborhood at night but it feels amazing. It turns so nice compared to my old bike and feels really light. I'll know more once I really get to ride it. Oh and the brakes, WOW!

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 07:32 AM

It was a California bike so I need to change the jetting, it was a little jerky but still very powerful. I'm not sure what to change the jets to or the needle setting.

Look here:

http://www.thumperta...t=694917&page=2

The '07's start at post 16. Be sure to look over Post #28 on page 3

• yz400fdude

Posted February 12, 2009 - 04:45 PM

I think I got the jetting pretty close. I put in a 48 pilot, 168 main, and 3 turns out on the fuel screw. The bike had a 160 main and 45 pilot in it and it was over heating after about 2 minutes putting around the yard and its cool outside about 60f. After the jet change it seems to be fine. The dealer suggested I put the needle in position number 4, how do I do that? I will also probably want to do something to the gearing, first gear seems to stall pretty easily.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 12, 2009 - 08:06 PM

Here's the pics! The only thing I have done so far is change the jets and add the extended fuel screw.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.