04 forks or 05 forks?

7 replies to this topic
  • shuehauls

Posted February 04, 2009 - 08:07 PM

I have a 04 YZF 450 and I have a chance to buy a set of 05 YZF 450 forks for $250.00
Are the 05 forks that much better than the 04?
I race mx in the +40 and +50 class

• mikedabike

Posted February 04, 2009 - 08:11 PM

In stock form no they are not much better. If you are going to have them revalved they can be much better. The speed sensitive dampening on the 06 and up are like magic.:)

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2009 - 08:36 PM

With a small amount of simple and relatively inexpensive mods, the '05 fork essentially becomes an '06 fork, and can be be far better than the '04 fork.

Contact Dave at Smart Performance about how to do this. BTW, he can also turn your '04 fork into an amazingly good fork. Ask him about the Phase 4 kits.

• KJ790

Posted February 04, 2009 - 08:47 PM

To be honest, I think the revalved forks I had on my 2 04's were some of the best forks I have ever had. I don't think they give up much if anything to my new speed sensitive ones. I never really got along with my 05 forks. They were pretty good after a revalve, but something about the revalved 04 forks just seemed right for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2009 - 09:07 PM

The Phase 4 fork is an entirely different approach than a conventional revalve:

PHASE 4 - The Ultra High Speed Blow-Off KYB USD46/48 is
now on the fourth revision, (released 8/2/07). All previous
versions should be sent back to our facility for updating.
Updates include four UHSBO springs with pre-load shims,
cartridge mods and stack updates as well as the 215/VM2-K5

• JJRace

Posted February 05, 2009 - 12:45 PM

The 05 forks are the first twin chamber KYBs on the Yamahas. with just a little work, they are great forks.

better than the 04s.

• shuehauls

Posted February 05, 2009 - 03:05 PM

Gray,with the phase 4 kit, how do they compare with the new kayabas?

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2009 - 03:11 PM

Fairly well. Very well, actually, but Dave would be the one to ask that question of. My understanding is that he can still make the '05 and later fork work better, but he's definitely narrowed the gap. He's always got something better in the works, too.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.