2006 yz450f Hot Cams

9 replies to this topic
  • Mike Martel

Posted February 04, 2009 - 12:06 PM

Just got stage 1 hot cams for my bike.
Any one have any experience with these in this bike?

If my valve clearance is in spec now will it be with the new cams or do I need shims?
Do you need to rejet the carb with new cams?

What kind of power increase will these give me. I ride mostly in the woods.

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2009 - 12:35 PM

It would be unusual for you not to need to reshim with the HotCams.

• Smokeslider

Posted February 04, 2009 - 05:09 PM

I put a set of Stage one Hotcams in a WR250F and didn't need to reshim. Not sure if that was an isolated case though. Hotcams says that sometimes you do and sometime you don't.

• KJ790

Posted February 04, 2009 - 05:11 PM

I have had one time that I put hotcams in a bike and didn't have to shim. All other times I had to chim, but they were never far off. When I pulled the ones that I didn't need to shim out and put them into another bike, I had to shim that time. It is hit or miss.

• camman

Posted February 04, 2009 - 10:21 PM

In almost every situation the Hot Cams is manufactured with the exact same bases circle diameter as the OE cam. Therefore, in most situations re-shiming is not necessary.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted February 05, 2009 - 05:53 AM

In almost every situation the Hot Cams is manufactured with the exact same bases circle diameter as the OE cam. Therefore, in most situations re-shiming is not necessary.

However manufacturing tolerances exist. It is impossible to produce a part of exactly the same size repeatedly. They will always vary a little bit, how much depends on how much money the company can afford to spend to minimize the tolerance. You can put a different stock cam in a bike and need to shim because they are a few thousands different. This is why not every bike comes from the factory with the exact same size shims stock to get the right valve clearance.

• camman

Posted February 05, 2009 - 12:08 PM

CNC cam grinders hold tolerances to the .00001”. Therefore, there will be no difference when changing out cams with identical base circles. Shim variances from motor to motor do not relate to the question about shimming and cam changes.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2009 - 12:27 PM

Nevertheless, and whatever the source of the discrepancy, it is not the least bit unusual to find that a shim change is necessary when changing a cam. Normally, it only a matter of one size, but all the same, it happens.

• KJ790

Posted February 05, 2009 - 04:09 PM

CNC cam grinders hold tolerances to the .00001”. Therefore, there will be no difference when changing out cams with identical base circles. Shim variances from motor to motor do not relate to the question about shimming and cam changes.

Shim variances from motor to motor (talking all new motors) relates very well to machining tolerances in the cams. The very reason for shim variance among new engines is due to the cumulative tolerances of the head, valves, buckets, and cams.

I have swapped stock cams and had to reshim. I have also swapped stock cams for hotcams and had to reshim. As I said, I have only had one time that I did not need to reshim when switching from stock cams to hotcams. Other times I have had to reshim.

• Mike Martel

Posted February 06, 2009 - 05:41 PM

Sounds like I better have some Shims on hand. Can any one recomend some common sizes I might need for an 06 yz450f or do i have to buy the entire hot cams kit for 80 bucks?
How about the power, like adding a pipe or better?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.