'03 WR450F Woodruff Key Blues

65 replies to this topic
  • SEB416

Posted February 17, 2003 - 07:12 AM

thanks!!!!!

• superdave78621

Posted February 20, 2003 - 09:08 AM

I was runnig stock jetting at the time of the backfire and 2nd woodruff key failure.
The local Yamaha shop saw some damage to the flywheel due to slipping and key breakage. Yamaha sent a new flywheel with instructions to lap it onto the crankshaft, apply loctite to nut and torque to 47 ft/lb. Got the bike just in time for the San Angelo, Texsas hare scramble. I changed main jet to 155, pilot to 48, air screw out 2 1/2 turns. Had no problems with the flywheel for 3 practice laps Saturday and 3 race laps Sunday. Jetting still seems lean. Good mid-range, but need more pull on top; and difficult to e-start unless the engine was very warm. Oh, my bike serial number is 1357; right in the middle of the bad batch!

• the_fist

Posted February 14, 2008 - 07:08 PM

im in copper canyon mexico and I think my woodruff key just bit the bullet ... is there anyway to start/run the bike once this has happened? im in a tight spot....thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaFool

Posted February 14, 2008 - 09:49 PM

If the woodruff key has sheared, the bike is dead in the water, because the fly wheel is loose on the crank shaft and is no longer in time with the valves and piston. The only fix is to replace the woodruff key. Don't just limit yourself to motorcycle shops, hardware stores sometimes have woodruff keys for other pieces of equipment. Also try auto parts stores. Last resort, make a woodruff key out of steel flat stock--- check out a welding shop they are into fabricating metal parts.

My 2003 failed after I brought it home from the dealer and started it in the garage--- zero miles on new bike. No one knew about the "backfiring causes the woodruff key to shear" issue or how to cure it in January 2003. I eventually incorporated the complete idler gear mod using the 2004 WR starter idler gear and new gear cover. This is the only way to eliminate the sheared woodruff key problem permanently. I never had a problem after the update. I ride in Northern Baja California often--- sorry to hear about your problem.

• 2grimjim

Posted February 15, 2008 - 07:41 PM

If you're trying to fix it in the field your biggest problem is going to be pulling off the flywheel. Unless you have the correct puller you will probably damage the crank-end, flywheel or both.

I'm affraid you are out of luck.

• the_fist

Posted February 16, 2008 - 08:30 PM

thanks for the replies...got trucked out of Urique (copper canyon) to the trailer we had in Creel...Im taking it in to the shop as soon as I order the parts from the 04 models....what should I tell the dealer to look for as far as broken parts to retrieve from inside the case? i dont want anything floating around in there.

thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.