New owner of a brand new 08 yz 450f!

43 replies to this topic
  • killdrums

Posted February 03, 2009 - 03:48 PM

Just wanted some opinions on what I need to do to the bike before I ride and subsequently thereafter.I live in Michigan,anyone around here have an 08 and want to share some tips? thanks Mark:banana:

• yz450f112

Posted February 03, 2009 - 03:59 PM

Congrats on the bike. I just picked up an 08 YZ450 as well about a month ago now and keep waiting to actually get to put in a real ride on it. It's either been ridiculously cold or snowing a lot or both right now. Hope you can get on your bike sooner than me, but I know Michigan is usually worse off than we are in Northwestern Indiana for winter weather.

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2009 - 04:16 PM

What you need to do before you ride it is discard the OEM chain so that it will not have the opportunity to destroy your otherwise usable sprockets, and replace it with something decent, such as a Regina ORN6.

Next, you should take the time to re-do the lube job on the steering head and rear suspension with some more robust grease, preferably something water proof and containing Moly.

Otherwise, just set it up to suit you and ride it.

• Wiz636

Posted February 03, 2009 - 04:34 PM

I would pull the air filter and re-oil it, or at least check it.

And to expand on Gray's statement about set up be sure to check/adjust the race sag.

• killdrums

Posted February 03, 2009 - 04:35 PM

thanks guys! I have read that you have to re-lube the bearings.Am I not familiar with motorcycle shops but isnt that why you pay the 300 prep fee?(prolly not)I will def get the regina chain and lube bearings up real nice.I have always rode 2 smokers and hopefully I can learn really fast how to properly take care of the 4 stroke.I've read about changing oil after break in(how long is break in on 4 stroke)?Checking the valves after 10 hrs.(is that hard to do)?I will be doing most if not all my riding on the northern michigan trails.Thanks for the help! Mark

• mc1hd

Posted February 03, 2009 - 05:52 PM

I just rode mine around the house three or four times and let it cool down in between. Dumped the oil and filter before actually taking it out for a real ride. Tip on refill with filter, one quart + 100cc, without oil filter one quart. After riding Ktm's for years I thought I would be ahead of the game and back out the compression and rebound in the forks and shock to help with the ride - bad idea. Had to reset close to stock settings with correct sag and was very impressed. $300 dollars for prep, I've never had to pay this fee.

• birdland101

Posted February 03, 2009 - 05:56 PM

The boyesen quickshot 2 helps with a lot of things carb related and you might need to go up on the pilot and main jets. Running the crankcase vent tube into the airbox is a good idea if you are going to ride big water.

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2009 - 06:44 PM

Tip on refill with filter, one quart + 100cc, without oil filter one quart.

Most oil bottles have a one liter mark on the side, even though they hold only a quart. Fill the bottle to the one liter line and it's perfect with a filter change.

• killdrums

Posted February 03, 2009 - 07:48 PM

What about this ball bearing in the drain hole(filter cover) mod? I def dont want any stripped bolt on my new bike.

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:01 PM

What about this ball bearing in the drain hole(filter cover) mod? I def dont want any stripped bolt on my new bike.

You've been reading. :) Yeah, I'd add that one to the list, too. Definitely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mc1hd

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:25 PM

Are you talking about the oil filter drain bolt and if so could you give me a link to the mod. Thanks.

• killdrums

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:32 PM

Oil filter drain bolt mod (prevent stripping) http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

• MX1967

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:58 PM

I would also buy a Twin-Air air filter. I don't like the stock ones. When I bought my new 06 YZ450 the stock filter lasted 3 servicings before one of its seams seperated. Congrats on the new bike!

• killdrums

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:22 PM

I've been reading alot on TT site and I'm wondering if the 450f was the right choice. I had a 96 kx250 loved the bike was great it the woods.I had a 98 yz 125 and it was to little for me.Is the 450f to much for woods?Just wonderin'.

• erickdj

Posted February 03, 2009 - 10:14 PM

I've been reading alot on TT site and I'm wondering if the 450f was the right choice. I had a 96 kx250 loved the bike was great it the woods.I had a 98 yz 125 and it was to little for me.Is the 450f to much for woods?Just wonderin'.

No need to worry about that with the 450f, they are pretty easy to ride for how powerful they are. I've had mine for a year, and I have never had doubts about it being a good bike for me.

• bajabull

Posted February 04, 2009 - 07:02 AM

yes, congrats. i just picked mine yesterday as well, 08 yz450f demo w/8 hours, got a smoking deal from dealer and they also was able to trade in by 2001 yz250F. I have only been able to cruise it around the block, but i had a big shit-eatin grin on my face, especially coming off the old 250F. What price did you pay?

• killdrums

Posted February 04, 2009 - 07:16 AM

5600.00 out the door. 0 hrs

• yzinger6

Posted February 06, 2009 - 06:54 PM

New here (obviously) and I am thinking about getting back into dirt this year (went to street) and I am about to pull the trigger on a new 08 450. I hope to be in your shoes soon! You like the new bike? being a small guy, I am hoping to be able to rip on this machine (I have dirt experience, dont worry haha). I was able to talk the dealer into 4900 out the door? what do you guys think of this price?

• killdrums

Posted February 06, 2009 - 06:59 PM

Killer price..havent rode mine yet(4ft of snow around).I'm wooried about it being too much for the woods riding I do.And also all the mods I have to do before riding it:( As for ripping...get a new muffler and that uncorks the bike..but ride it stock first)

• yzinger6

Posted February 06, 2009 - 07:08 PM

i have read that the stock 08 450 is very quite compared to like bikes/etc. this true?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.