Electric starter for WR400F '99

9 replies to this topic
  • Kirill

Posted February 03, 2009 - 02:46 PM

May be it's funny question, but I'd like to implement the electric starter in to my WR400F. Is any body did it ? As I saw there is even a place for starter on the crank case. Is it electric motor form WR450 and starting clitch acceptable for WR400 ? It's clear concerning autodecomp. battery, etc.
Thanks in advance.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 03, 2009 - 06:15 PM

im guessing here based on what i know...:)...i highly doubt you will be able to do this...

• tntmo

Posted February 04, 2009 - 09:44 AM

I think there was a company doing this several years ago but haven't seen anything lately.

Currently there is a company doing something similar, it's called Yamaha and they sell a WR450 that comes with an electric starter. :) Yeah, bad joke but that's the best recommendation I can give you.

• DrzDasher

Posted February 04, 2009 - 07:59 PM

I searched the archives and google, nothing, just people saying to get the 450, sorry.

• Kirill

Posted February 05, 2009 - 01:08 AM

Yeah, WR450 nice bike , but quite expensive :) In my country, in accordance with high popularity, and crazy customs policy I can't buy even used one for less than 7,500 ... 8,000 USD !!! In crisis situation it's unbelievable ... So, it seems that this year I have only one solution - the friendship with kick starter :lol: People said that normally cold WR should be easily started with 2..3 kicks. In fact, last weekend , when it was just -3 C on the street , I was warming up the engine and carb with electric fan for more then one hour ! Then, after 5 minutes of kicking engine has been started. It's terrible. I don't understand what's problem ? The lash in valves is OK, compression is excellent, may be old gas ? Not sure. Once bike started, it's running quite well. Actually, warm engine starts much more easy, but any way not with first kick. One remark, some times kick starter painfully impact me back to the leg. So, after that I'm afraid to kick harder . What I'm doing wrong ? What if I'll decrease the gap in spark plug let me say till 0,5...0,4 mm ? (In service manual recommended gap is 0,6...0,7 mm) In this case spark will be more stable during low speed rotation while kick start. Am I right ? Is any body has recommendations concerning this issue ?

Thanks and best regards,
Kirill.
St. Petersburg,
Russia.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rammst

Posted June 16, 2009 - 02:33 AM

I think just buy a new spark plug, better iridium, then it should start on first kick no mater warm or cold.
Are you kicking correctly? May be silly question bus just sometimes happens. Here is from manual:

STARTING A COLD ENGINE
1. Inspect the coolant level.
2. Turn the fuel cock to “ON”.
3. Shift the transmission into neutral.
4. Fully open the cold starter knob.
5. Without pulling in the decompression
lever, slowly depress the kick starter until
the compression stroke is found. When
considerable resistance of the kick starter
is felt, the engine is on the compression
stroke. If the engine is on the exhaust
stroke, resistance will only be felt when
the kick starter is initially depressed, not
through the entire range of depression
(as when the engine is on the compression
stroke); therefore, depress the kick
starter a few more times.

And other moment from manual in case you don't have it:
* The carburetor on this motorcycle has a
built-in accelerator pump. Therefore,
when starting the engine, do not operate
the throttle or the spark plug will foul.
* Unlike a two-stroke engine, this engine
cannot be kick started when the throttle is
open because the kick starter may kick
back. Also, if the throttle is open the air/
fuel mixture may be too lean for the
engine to start.
* Never use the decompression lever after
the engine is started. The engine may be
damaged if you use the decompression
lever while it is running.
* Before starting the machine, perform the
checks in the pre-operation check list.

• ncampion

Posted June 16, 2009 - 11:52 AM

A couple of other "cold start" ideas. When it is very cold, (-3 C) it can help to give the throttle a couple of twists to pump some gas into the intake. Not too much or it will flood. Also, be sure you keep the throttle completely closed when kicking or else it will kick back. You might consider getting the 2003 or later exhaust cam with the auto decompress feature. It makes starting much easier.

• Kirill

Posted June 22, 2009 - 02:52 AM

Thanks a lot guys for recommendations !
But please , just one more question: what exhaust cam with decompressor will be acceptable for WR400 ? If I could get one from WR450 it will be compatible ?
What about timing ? Should I keep standard WR400 timing or move exhaust cam some pin ahead or back ?

Thanks in advance,
Kirill,
St. Petersburg,
Russia.

• ncampion

Posted June 23, 2009 - 04:35 AM

The 03' on cam works. Need to search on how to do the timing.

• 1rkcooper

Posted June 23, 2009 - 06:24 PM

This will keep you busy for a while.

The decompression cam mod in my opinion the best mod you can do to the 400 and 426 YZ and WR.

http://www.thumperta...ead.php?t=60381

http://www.thumperta...040#post5378040

http://www.thumperta...078#post3706078

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.