Helmet Cam Help

17 replies to this topic
  • bman

Posted July 25, 2002 - 05:40 PM

Just got my helmet cam today. Where do you run the
wires? Inside chest protector or what. It seems that
the wires hanging out in the open might catch on
branches etc. Where do i clip the microphone. Inside helmet, outside, on the helmet cam? Purchased really cool fanny pack for my Canon Digital camcorder and battery. Does anyone really wear it on the front for easy access or is that just a insurance deal to make the lawyers happy. Any tips would be of great help.

Thanks Bman
P.S. Their on special at WWW.HelmetCamera.com

• YamaMoto

Posted July 25, 2002 - 07:35 PM

Bman, I borrowed one from a friend, it was a Hitachi and had built in mic and battery. I ran the video/mic wire down through my chest protector into a camera bag/fanny pack. Only problem is you get quit a bit of unwanted video as it is a pain to get to the record switch. I am thinking of getting the one you got. Worth the money? Is the mount secure enough for the jumps bumps and whoops?
Matt

• Mike_from_WA

Posted July 26, 2002 - 06:12 AM

I'm using a Sony camcorder but don't have a remote way of starting and stopping. Mine is carried in a moose back pack. I just rout the wire for the camera out of the top of the pack with a little slack and tape it in two places on my helmet(on the back and halfway between where the camera mounts)with duct tape. I've clipped the mic to the top of the pack flap but found when standing up on the pegs at speed all I got was wind noise. I tried clipping to the lower part of the pack and it worked fine. If you run an open pipe you may want to leave the mic inside the pack it will pick up quite a bit, just wrap a small piece of foam around it(secure with rubber band) so it doesn't pickup noise from rubbing inside the pack.

Another thing is placement of the camera mount on the helmet. I used a small piece of regular strength velcro and made a couple of short test runs until I goth the camera positioned right. Then made a couple of pencil outlines of the camera, removed the cheap stuff and installed the heavy suty stuff.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 26, 2002 - 10:06 AM

I had the helmetcam.com set up and after I owned it for about 6 months I found it was entirely too much effort and quite a headache to set up, run wires, duct tape, protect expensive camcorder, etc, etc.

Dont get me wrong. It was a love/hate relationship. The thing filmed great and its a blast to watch the rides when you get home but untill they come out with cam thats a bit more friendly to use I guess Ill just have to live with what I got taped.

• Dave_W

Posted July 29, 2002 - 05:49 AM

Where can one find the helmet cams? Anything special you should look for when buying one?
Thanks for the help!
Dave

• bman

Posted July 29, 2002 - 07:25 AM

Used helmet cam this weekend for the first time. Does take a little more time to get on the trail. All the wires are a pain to setup. I found out I needed to raise the camera level a little. Really fun to watch, but nobody in my family enjoyed as much as I did. Put the microphone in fanny pack for first hour tape. Good exhaust sound. Moved it up to my jersy next to my helmet so I could talk as I rode. Really wierd to be hauling a$$ and talking to myself at same time. Audio came out ok but I think it might work better if I can clip microphone inside my helmet.

The time warp thing is really strange. When yoou watch the video it goes on for ever. But when you are out riding time seems to go bye really fast. That five mile single track the seems like ride in no time at all really seems long when watched on video. I guess that's where the saying "Time flys when you are having fun" came from. Now I need to get some TT brothers to ride in front for some really fun video. I know that Socal will be a hoot to watch. Only problem is letting him stay in front long enough for film at eleven.<http://www.thumperta...cons/icon7.gif>

• SoCalWR426

Posted July 29, 2002 - 08:16 PM

Originally posted by bman:
Used helmet cam this weekend for the first time. Really fun to watch, but nobody in my family enjoyed as much as I did.( kinda like your parents vacation movies huh!) I could talk as I rode. Really wierd to be hauling a$$ and talking to myself at same time.( Bman, you talk to yourself all the time! only now you can hear it!)
I know that Socal will be a hoot to watch. Only problem is letting him stay in front long enough for film at eleven.( Not to worry, I will drink plenty of fluids, be injury free, and whup your A$$ so that only your sister will talk to ya! <http://www.thumperta...cons/icon7.gif>

SoCal :)

• bman

Posted July 30, 2002 - 05:21 AM

Socal

You the man.

Only if your wife would let you.

[ July 30, 2002: Message edited by: bman ]

• SoCalWR426

Posted July 30, 2002 - 05:27 AM

Oooh! That smarted! :)

Socal

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RonO

Posted July 30, 2002 - 06:43 AM

On my helmet cam i run the cords from the side to the back of the helmet, fastened with a velcro loop the down my back into the fanny pack. The only problem I have found so far is the fanny pack gets bounced around pretty good. I may switch to a backpack. I found my Bullet camera on Ebay from Intellicamspy. com for $79 then another $8 for a battery pack that holds 8 AA batteries. I had a long rca cable and made a longer power cable. To attached the camera, I went to the Auto parts store and bought some 3M plastic locking tape (heavy duty velco). THe only things I still need is a mic. I'm trying to find one that is powered and has an rca on the end. Helmetcamera.com has a mic for $30 but I'm trying to find that will work for less $$$. Any ideas? The video is great but I need sound. :)

Ron

• Merfman

Posted July 30, 2002 - 07:18 AM

RonO,

I'm working on a similar solution (found a camera, with audio for $90) and maybe you have answers to a couple questions I have....

1) Are you using image stabilization? If not, how's the video?

2) If you are using IS, does your camera perform IS on the audio that's being input via the AV ports? I have an experiment in the works but am just curious.

TIA,
Merf

• Dougie

Posted July 30, 2002 - 11:43 AM

I run the wires down the back of my helmet. I tape it up with duct tape on the helmet and the wire connectors.

Be prepared to enjoy watching the video alone or with the guys you tape riding. No one from your family is going to enjoy it as much as you will. After five minutes, it was "OoooKaayy...I think I have clothes in the dryer". I started dubbing music to the tape to make it more enjoyable to for others.

• bman

Posted July 30, 2002 - 05:44 PM

You got 5 minutes out of your family, WOW.

Mine only lasted about 2. I got the same "Have to go move the laundry over" story. What gives, motorcycles and doing laundry. Is there some wierd relationship?
Bman

• RonO

Posted July 31, 2002 - 04:06 AM

Merfman,

On my Sony, once you attach the outside source (bullet camera) it turns image stabilization off. So neither audio or video get any kind of stabilization. The picture is still very good. I have an mpeg of a first test of the system but it's 30 meg and my website only gives me 10 meg.

Ron

• RonO

Posted July 31, 2002 - 05:26 AM

Merfman,

Here's some links for the video. (No audio yet, no mic).

http://12.226.219.4/ron.rm
http://12.226.219.4/ron.mpg
http://12.226.219.4/ride1.rm

the .rm files are Realplayer files

Ron

• Merfman

Posted July 31, 2002 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Ron, I'll check them out when I get a chance!

Merf

• hodaphile

Posted July 31, 2002 - 08:48 AM

If you can't get guys fast enough to ride in front of you try mounting the camera backwards to film behind you. It takes some getting used to but it actually works well.

And I thought the speed things go by is just the opposite, the ride seems to take a while and the film only lasts a cpl minutes!

• hodaphile

Posted July 31, 2002 - 08:50 AM

If you can't get guys fast enough to ride in front of you try mounting the camera backwards to film behind you. It takes some getting used to but it actually works well.

And I thought the speed things go by is just the opposite, the ride seems to take a while and the film only lasts a cpl minutes!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.