Re-Jet for winter riding?

4 replies to this topic
  • MistaPoodlePants

Posted February 03, 2009 - 12:33 PM

I have an 06 YZ450F and someone recently mentioned that I should rejet my carb for winter riding so I don't "blow it up". I am no expert on engines or carbs, so I am asking if anyone can deny or confirm or educate me on this.

Thanks in advance!

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2009 - 12:57 PM

Generally speaking, colder air is denser, and requires richer jetting to maintain the same air/fuel ratio and performance you had in the warmer months. But, there is really very little risk of engine damage in a 4-stroke from running too lean unless the bike is running noticeably badly. Performance usually deteriorates to the point where you can't stand the way it runs long before it gets to the point of being dangerous to the engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted February 03, 2009 - 01:44 PM

my bikes must be jetted half way between summer/winter optimal specs, it runs pretty well all year long and at different elevations. Never had to do seasonal jetting changes on either one of my bikes.

• MistaPoodlePants

Posted February 04, 2009 - 04:02 AM

Thanks for the response gentlemen. I'll keep an eye on performance and I have a much better idea of what to do and why.

Thanks!
-MistaPoodlePants

• Wes Woodin

Posted February 04, 2009 - 06:09 AM

I have an 06 YZ450F and someone recently mentioned that I should rejet my carb for winter riding so I don't "blow it up". I am no expert on engines or carbs, so I am asking if anyone can deny or confirm or educate me on this.

Thanks in advance!

Go richer

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.