Bill of Sale-Title-Same thing?

15 replies to this topic
  • Motor Head

Posted February 02, 2009 - 05:17 PM

They are 2 different thing's correct? Im looking at a bike with no title but he say's a bill of sale is all i need...

• Ud_Luz

Posted February 02, 2009 - 05:25 PM

Apparently this is the case in your state.

Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, Motor Assisted Bicycles

You cannot register any of the motorized devices from the list below in NYS. You cannot operate these devices on sidewalks, public streets or highways in NYS. These devices are motor vehicles, but they do not have the correct equipment or design for operation on roadways.

* Motorized Scooter - a device with a motor attached and a handlebar for a standing rider. An example of a motorized scooter is the device called the Go-ped®.
* Mini-bike - a small, motorized device with two wheels and created for off-road use. A mini-bike does not qualify as a moped, a motorcycle or an ATV.
* Dirt Bike - a motorized device like a motorcycle, but created for and used for off-road use. Some "dirt bikes" qualify as an ATV. These vehicles can register and operate off-road as an ATV.
* Go-Kart - a small, motorized device with four wheels, created for off-road use. You cannot register a go-kart as a motor vehicle or ATV because a go-kart does not have the same equipment.
* Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.

These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property. Contact the local authorities and property owners.

• Motor Head

Posted February 02, 2009 - 05:57 PM

the state doesnt effect the paperwork the bike comes with new. I know you cant register them legaly but im just wondering if a bill of sale ever doubles as a title.

• Ud_Luz

Posted February 02, 2009 - 06:02 PM

the state doesnt effect the paperwork the bike comes with new. I know you cant register them legaly but im just wondering if a bill of sale ever doubles as a title.

If he purchased the bike new he should have a dealer's bill of sale and a signed MSO transferring ownership.

• stlavsa

Posted February 02, 2009 - 06:31 PM

You dont really need the title are you planning on trying to register the bike? If not you dont need it? you dont need to "transfer" anything that I know of.

When I sell bikes I transfer the bike to the new owner after he transfers the cash to my hand, some guys take the title with them, but I never transfer it over.

• honda88

Posted February 02, 2009 - 07:13 PM

The only thing if he does not have any paperwork ask him is it alright for you to get the vin# and have the police run it to see if it is stolen. if he has a problem with it probably stolen.

• kenr74

Posted February 02, 2009 - 08:23 PM

A title is typically an official document that has gone through the state and shows proof of ownership.

The MCO is the official document from the manufacturer and usually the dealership it was sold from.

A bill of sale is a piece of paper. Nothing more. Depending on your state a bill of sale may be enough but it is proof on nothing more that you paid somebody for the bike. It does not prove that they had the right to sell you the bike.

• schrode

Posted February 02, 2009 - 08:31 PM

yea they are different things for sure; bill of sale is a receipt, a title is just like for your car, truck, whatever. some states don't issue titles for ohv vehicles, so you need to know if that is how your state operates. here in washington you have a title and registration just like your truck. a buddy of mine who moved here from florida was blown away by this because all he ever got with his bike was a bill of sale. no yearly reg. was ever required. i would call the guy up and get the vin# from him and make sure it isn't stolen, if it goes through your probably good.

• alex211

Posted February 02, 2009 - 08:57 PM

How do you get insurance on a bike with just a bill of sale, do you just give the VIN to the insurance company?

• enduro4231

Posted February 02, 2009 - 09:30 PM

In MA, all that is needed to register a bike as an ATV (generic term) is the bill of sale, and proof of sales tax payment.

• Rediron

Posted February 02, 2009 - 10:34 PM

Not all states require that OHV's be sold with their department of motor vehicles certificate of ownership, (title). For those states that don't the manufacturer provides a certificate of ownership of their own with the proper vin numbers on it. In the states that don't require titles a bill of sale is all you need, but I would check the I.D. numbers on the bike and have it checked for stolen anyway. Without D.M.V titles their is no other way to know if it's clean

• manson3161

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:29 AM

i went riding out of state and needed a title or a bill of sale to prove ownership to register for a dnr sticker

• durangoman

Posted February 03, 2009 - 05:30 PM

How do you get insurance on a bike with just a bill of sale, do you just give the VIN to the insurance company?

yep

• durangoman

Posted February 03, 2009 - 05:31 PM

i went riding out of state and needed a title or a bill of sale to prove ownership to register for a dnr sticker

that is an issue for those of us that live in states that dont 'title' dirtbikes and atvs.

• cheesebrain007

Posted February 08, 2009 - 05:52 PM

Im pretty sure that here in MA anyways, all you need is a bill of sale and proof that you payed tax for the bike snd you can register it.

• Motor Head

Posted February 08, 2009 - 06:22 PM

is it hard to get a new MSO?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CR250 Swingarm by 2StrokestheFuture

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Yellow YZ250F at Round 7 of Australian MX Nationals, Conondale QLD by stinkwheels

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Building a Dirt Bike by htimsrolyat

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2013 by Juman5

Yamaha WR450F 2013
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by jasonl20069
  • On July 19, 2014
Forums
Photo

Successful Electrical Repairs on my '79 Honda XL250S by vagabondmatt

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.