YZ426 HID setup.

13 replies to this topic
  • motarded426

Posted February 02, 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hey folks,

so I am piecing together an HID kit/street legalization kit for my '01 426 (all i really need in CO is a headlight/taillight and a horn) . After searching here is what I came up with regarding what I need for my bike.. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, there have been a lot of posts regarding this issue, so I am just trying to summarize/synthesize the info all together. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Dual 4" Baja Designs 4" Fuego HID's (already have one, should I only run one?)

2. WR stator, flywheel, CDI (what year and model for best output?)

3. TrailTech regulator/rectifier

4. Baja Designs Rear taillight/license plate light

5. NiCad battery?

am i missing anything? no turn signals required here in CO.....

Thanks for all the help
:lol: :)

• shawnbassett26

Posted February 02, 2009 - 05:48 PM

I would like to know as well. Im going to run lights on my YZ426 motor and would prefer not to run a battery too. I have also heard of conflicting storys between CDI no CDI WR stator cover... etc....

~Shaw @ BMS

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2009 - 08:41 PM

Most contemporary HID's require DC current. Batteries are advisable so that the lamps don't repeatedly shut off and reignite at an idle.

• motarded426

Posted February 02, 2009 - 09:13 PM

Most contemporary HID's require DC current. Batteries are advisable so that the lamps don't repeatedly shut off and reignite at an idle.

I guess that's were I'm getting a little mixed up still.. The WR stator will output DC current, yes?:lol:

I just want to make sure that all components are copasetic, so it's not that big of a headache.:lol:

thanks!
:)

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2009 - 09:20 PM

No. All magneto generators produce AC current only. To use a battery, or other equipment requiring DC, you have to add a rectifier to the system, to convert AC to DC.

• motarded426

Posted February 02, 2009 - 09:28 PM

No. All magneto generators produce AC current only. To use a battery, or other equipment requiring DC, you have to add a rectifier to the system, to convert AC to DC.

Perfect, that 's exactly what i needed to know..

In turn, the WR setup + rectifier will work with the HID lamp. great.

Thanks for the clarification, with all the posts on it, I got a little convoluted..

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted February 03, 2009 - 10:06 PM

i dont think you need the cdi though if you float the pink wire, if im not mistaken.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoPhotog

Posted February 04, 2009 - 06:47 AM

I hear you guys. I have a plate for my yz.... but i havent even ridden it down the street yet because this whole stator/regulator/rectifier blah blah blah, makes my head...... :lol:

:) ugh.................frustrating.

• britgeetarlad

Posted February 05, 2009 - 01:39 AM

I just got my 01 wr426f stator and plan on doin the same thing....do i need to get a Wr flywheel or will the yz426f flywheel do the job ?....wonderin here

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2009 - 06:02 AM

You need the larger flywheel as well.

• honyam83

Posted February 05, 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hey motarded426 where @ in CO I'm in NOCO fort collins area maybe we could ride some time.

• motarded426

Posted February 05, 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hey motarded426 where @ in CO I'm in NOCO fort collins area maybe we could ride some time.

For sure man, I'm calling SOCO ('springs) base now, but i spend the weekends in Denver/Boulder...

I'm totally down to ride, just gotta get this whole headlight/stator thing done.. My time frame is to have all lighting and legalization stuff done (i'm already plated) is April-ish..... I'm collecting parts right now...:)

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted February 05, 2009 - 07:40 PM

Not trying to rain on your parade, but have to ask why you are going HID. Don't get me wrong, the light is awesome, but most do not use/need it. I went the whole 9 yards with my old 426 with the WR stator, flywheel, CDI, wiring harness, TT reg/rectifier, and a 1.1 amp AA battery pack from Batteryspace.com. The light output was awesome, but I never used it and felt like I was going to break my $500 headlight. On my KTM I threw on a Baja Designs halogen set up, saved myself the cost of going DC, and still find that I have plenty of light for the riding I do. I would save my money and buy an MR16 HID helmet light which provides much more useful light. If you still insist on HID the Trail Tech X2 is only $300. I don't know any of these HID lights to be considered street legal.

• motarded426

Posted February 05, 2009 - 09:38 PM

Not trying to rain on your parade, but have to ask why you are going HID. Don't get me wrong, the light is awesome, but most do not use/need it. I went the whole 9 yards with my old 426 with the WR stator, flywheel, CDI, wiring harness, TT reg/rectifier, and a 1.1 amp AA battery pack from Batteryspace.com. The light output was awesome, but I never used it and felt like I was going to break my $500 headlight. On my KTM I threw on a Baja Designs halogen set up, saved myself the cost of going DC, and still find that I have plenty of light for the riding I do. I would save my money and buy an MR16 HID helmet light which provides much more useful light. If you still insist on HID the Trail Tech X2 is only $300. I don't know any of these HID lights to be considered street legal.

I live in the mountains, and need the most amount of light; i've got 55w HID's on my S4 and wouldn't have anyting else. I really want to do this build right the first time in my eyes...:lol:

if it breaks, it breaks; they run baja with them, they can handle a colorado summer :)... i'm not worried about the street legal nature either, cops don't even patrol where i live....:lol:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.