Water pump leak?

3 replies to this topic
  • R_Little

Posted February 08, 2003 - 03:54 PM

I noticed a drop of colant leaking from the Water pump weep hole.

How hard is it to fix this?

• allinson

Posted February 08, 2003 - 04:28 PM

My new 450 leaked the weeper hole. It leaked then stopped. Can't explain it. I looked in the manual and could not find any information on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted February 08, 2003 - 05:35 PM

Your outer seal is leaking, their is a passage between the outer seal and bearing that leads to the weep hole, when you see water coming out there you generally have a bad seal (but you could have a bad radiator cap leaving nowhere for the pressure to go but by that seal).

I ain't difficult to fix the problem. Order/pick up an outer water pump seal. Remove the pump cover, remove impeller, and dig the old seal out of there (note which way it is facing). That is the only hard part, but since you are tossing it don't worry about mangling it (you probably will).

Then replace it and put everything back together.

Before you do that though you should probably inspect the impeller shaft, if it has a significant groove where the seal rides you may need to replace it to fix the leaking. To replace the shaft you will have to take off the right cover.

Hope this helps.

• R_Little

Posted February 09, 2003 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Hick

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.