Fork seals???

24 replies to this topic
  • jbowen13

Posted February 01, 2009 - 07:58 PM

What fork seals do you guys recommend?? I haven't had my 06' YZ450 for 5 months, and have been through 2 sets and the 3rd just started leaking... I have been having my brother do them and I think he is using parts unlimited seals. He says they are great on his kawi... I dunno.

• mikedabike

Posted February 01, 2009 - 08:16 PM

You ride alot of mud? Mud gets the grit up in the seals then when it dries it cuts them. Make sure if you ride in muddy conditions pull the wipers down afterwards and clean them out good.

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2009 - 08:24 PM

Dried mud on the fork legs, and or dirt trapped between the dust seal and oil seals will cause premature fork seal failure. The seals from MSR are somewhat more tolerant. You could also step up to Synergy Seals.

I've had good luck with the KYB seals, but I ride in a basically dry environment.

• nickeenoo

Posted February 01, 2009 - 09:17 PM

I like the KYB seals also. If you are going throught seals that fast something is not right. Either you are getting something between the seal and the fork leg, i.e. mud, or you have an imperfection in the fork leg. Scratches, water spots, and nicks can cause problems. Make sure your fork legs are clean. Also, maybe there is a problem with the installer?

• jbowen13

Posted February 02, 2009 - 04:58 AM

well it has been pretty muddy last couple months. this time i will go with something other than the pu seals. thanks guys.

• mxracer206

Posted February 02, 2009 - 05:22 AM

Definately cleaning under the wipers helps on these forks. I have tried almost every seal available and none has proven to be much better than the other. What we have found is the outer fork tube can wear at the spot that the upper bushing rides allowing a little too much movement. If the fluid is very dark every time you change the seals definately check this out. The best thing to do is replace all the bushings and wipers even if they look ok and the stock Yamaha stuff is the cheapest way to go.

• husqy360

Posted February 02, 2009 - 06:25 AM

seal savers might help .
my kyb seals died very fast 2, about 4 month.
hope next summer this seal saver will help.

• YZKnine

Posted February 02, 2009 - 06:45 AM

If U don't already do this, here's a good habit to form.
Releasing, the Pressure from the forks after each ride/trailering A the Fork Valve Screw.

• DAVID146

Posted February 03, 2009 - 04:16 PM

I'VE DONE EVERYTHING IN THE BOOK TO MY 06! The only thing I have not done is recoat the forks. I guess they are going to leak every 4 to 6 rides. Take them apart clean them and get 4 to 6 more rides out of them. What I would like to know does all 06 owners have the same trouble?

• davidrussell41

Posted February 03, 2009 - 04:40 PM

I live in southern az and I have yet to change my seals or have them leak still have stock seals on bike. I release pressure from forks alot, we also dont have any mud here either also wash and dry after each ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted February 04, 2009 - 04:27 AM

What fork seals do you guys recommend?? I haven't had my 06' YZ450 for 5 months, and have been through 2 sets and the 3rd just started leaking... I have been having my brother do them and I think he is using parts unlimited seals. He says they are great on his kawi... I dunno.

My suspension guy told me that on my 06 is that you cant go wrong with the factory seals. I had some moose ones on mine and he said they were junk. He said those kind of seals were to slick and were for only pro bike set ups and you still only got a certain amount of time out of them.

• MXKyle

Posted February 04, 2009 - 04:56 AM

I'VE DONE EVERYTHING IN THE BOOK TO MY 06! The only thing I have not done is recoat the forks. I guess they are going to leak every 4 to 6 rides. Take them apart clean them and get 4 to 6 more rides out of them. What I would like to know does all 06 owners have the same trouble?

It's not just you. My '06 had the same issues with the seals here in Central Florida. Sticky sand for the most part down here where the keep the tracks watered. The forks started out sucking air and had to be bled before every ride then started leaking soon after. I went through two sets of KYB seals then switched to the Moose seals before I sold the bike. Last month the new owner had me replace the Moose seals for him and he didn't have hardly any time on the bike at all.

My '08 doesn't seem to have this problem at all and I ride the exact same places. This I'm very thankful for. My '03 never went through fork seals either.

--KT--

• 642MX

Posted February 04, 2009 - 06:49 AM

2 words.... Seal Savers. I've got 2 years on my seals.... before I used the savers I got about 4 months. They're cheap and they work.

• tmc55

Posted February 04, 2009 - 02:22 PM

were can you buy them seal savers

• 642MX

Posted February 04, 2009 - 02:26 PM

were can you buy them seal savers

http://www.sealsavers.com

• StPeters21

Posted February 04, 2009 - 10:25 PM

Not to be rude...but maybe you don't know what you are doing if you only get 4-6 rides out of your seals. You may have other parts worn out or possibly nicks on your fork tubes. Fork tubes could be bent...Several things could be wrong. I have an '06 and I get 6-8 months of enjoyment out of my seals with little to no maintenance. The only time I get my seals go leak quickly is in muddy/sandy conditions. You might want to have someone else take a look at them???

• osheen

Posted February 04, 2009 - 11:12 PM

Use the OEM Japanese seals (Aftermarket is all junk, IMO) and do this trick..... Take the springs off the seal lips and find the place where the spring is screwed together. Carefully unscrew it until it comes apart. Cut about 6-8 mm off the female end of the spring and screw it back together. Do it to both springs on the seal and also the wiper. Yeah, It may cause a little bit more stiction but I've never noticed.

Also, in the outer chamber of the forks you can run virtually any oil since all the damping is done in the inner chamber. The thicker the oil, the more resistant to leaking it will be. I usually use ATF (which is still thin). I know guys who use 5w-30 motor oil. Or you could even use conventional 20w fork oil... All it does is lube the bushings and take up air space.....

My 2 cents worth.....

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2009 - 06:42 AM

Also, in the outer chamber of the forks you can run virtually any oil since all the damping is done in the inner chamber. The thicker the oil, the more resistant to leaking it will be. ... All it does is lube the bushings and take up air space.....

There's more to it than that. Outer chamber oil in the '05 and later models is the oil used for the bottoming resistance. As the bottom of the cartridge nears the end of its travel, it enters a cone shaped pocket at the bottom of the outer tube. Heavier oil here increases bottoming resistance, but also increases the harshness of the bottoming event a little. I do run a heavier oil in the outers vs. inners. It should be noted that if the fork is bottomed frequently, the pressure spike in the forcing cones at the bottom of the cartridge causes some outer chamber oil to be forced into the inner chamber past the seals. So, the fluids should be as compatible with each other as possible if two different ones are used, and changed a bit more often under those circumstances to maintain consistency of fork performance.

The other thing is that the fork is very sensitive to oil level changes, and you can usually feel the difference in 10cc per side either way, or even less. Too little, and the fork seems too soft. Add too much more, and they get quite harsh.

• DAVID146

Posted February 05, 2009 - 02:54 PM

Not to be rude...but maybe you don't know what you are doing if you only get 4-6 rides out of your seals. You may have other parts worn out or possibly nicks on your fork tubes. Fork tubes could be bent...Several things could be wrong. I have an '06 and I get 6-8 months of enjoyment out of my seals with little to no maintenance. The only time I get my seals go leak quickly is in muddy/sandy conditions. You might want to have someone else take a look at them???

No your not rude but I have had everyone I know look at these forks. They have done this since the first month I have had it. I have replaced all the other parts, no nicks in the tubes, they just leak after every 4-6 rides depending on the track conditions. I have tried every seal, oil and trick out there along with everyone else that have worked on them they just leak.

• 642MX

Posted February 05, 2009 - 04:23 PM

No your not rude but I have had everyone I know look at these forks. They have done this since the first month I have had it. I have replaced all the other parts, no nicks in the tubes, they just leak after every 4-6 rides depending on the track conditions. I have tried every seal, oil and trick out there along with everyone else that have worked on them they just leak.

You haven't tried the Seal Savers....right?..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.