No-Toil Oil

21 replies to this topic
  • mvryder

Posted February 01, 2009 - 07:05 PM

I just started using No-Toil Oil on my filters recently from using Maxima in the past. I dirtied up two filters and went to wash them today with the No-Toil cleaner. This is the greatest stuff since sliced bread.....strike that this stuff beats the heck out of sliced bread. The filters came out cleaner than before I oiled them. Before I used the maxima cleaner and that stuff stunk up the whole garage and never got all the oil out. The No-Toil stuff was so easy and clean!! I mean those filters are so bright and squeaky clean I need sunglasses! They were never that clean with the maxima cleaner / oil. I washed them in the kitchen sink and it didn't leave an oily residue in the sink or anything!!!! :) :lol: :lol:

And as far as filtering I checked close and after a lot of dusty riding I have no hesitations about using this stuff. No trace of any dust getting by at all.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 01, 2009 - 07:08 PM

I've been using it for 10 years, and love it's quality.

• Engineer_3ID

Posted February 01, 2009 - 07:15 PM

I too am a big fan of the no-toil wash:worthy: . But I bought two pre oil no-toil filters cause they where cheap (about 13 bucks a fiter) I just throw mine in the washing machine then the dryer and there clean and dry no mess and no waiting for them to dry...though I wouldnt try it with other filters that arnt no-toil filters cause I have seen pics of the filter coming appart.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 01, 2009 - 08:51 PM

I too am a big fan of the no-toil wash:worthy: . But I bought two pre oil no-toil filters cause they where cheap (about 13 bucks a fiter) I just throw mine in the washing machine then the dryer and there clean and dry no mess and no waiting for them to dry...though I wouldnt try it with other filters that arnt no-toil filters cause I have seen pics of the filter coming appart.

One of my racer friends has an old noisy washing machine in his garage he uses just for filters. Dozens at a time! Must be nice..............

• foxomatica

Posted February 01, 2009 - 10:39 PM

Was using No-toil with my stock filter as well as a No-toil filter. Love the stuff but it did destroy the stock filter after about five washes.

• edexup

Posted February 02, 2009 - 06:00 AM

I use the washing machine IN the house. They come out great.:)

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2009 - 01:02 PM

IMO, No-Toil has serious shortcomings as a filter oil. It is not initially tacky enough, and tends to loose what tackiness it has in fairly short order (like sitting in the bike for 3-4 days prior to a ride). It does not filter/trap/apprehend the extremely fine dust in SoCal well enough to use, and frankly, the so-called "ease of use" is overrated.

I use Maxima FFT. I also have 3 filters for each bike. I oil clean ones in advance, and hang them out so that the volatile vehicles in the oil can evaporate, which prevents the oil running off the filter in the air box or elsewhere, then bag them the next day in 1 gallon Zip-Locs until I need them.

After a ride, I remove the dirty filter and wash it in a plastic bucket containing 2 gallons of mineral spirits (like shop solvent). It takes only about two minutes or less to do this, and I reuse the same solvent for 6 months or more. The dirt settles to the bottom and pretty much stays there between washings, so the only issue really is that the solvent becomes saturated with filter oil; not really a bad thing.

Then, I wring the filter and hang it out to dry, to be oiled another day, and install the freshly oiled one from its storage bag.

Simple, 5 minute process, and FFT is much more effective as a filter oil.

• mvryder

Posted February 02, 2009 - 02:34 PM

I would call not having a bucket of nasty sovent I have to dunk my filters in with my hands a pretty good "ease of use".

"No-Toil has serious shortcomings as a filter oil" No from what I have seen it doesn't. And I ride in so cal too.

• bills442

Posted February 02, 2009 - 03:03 PM

I dunno, I'm torn on no-toil, sometime I use it, sometimes I don't. And while my bike hasn't blown up, I don't think that's a fair judge of it since it's a 2 stroke and they can suck dirt and not really give much of a rat's ass, one way or the other. Lately I've quit using it because I've decided that ( without any scientific evidence ) it's just to thin to be working. The stuff is like water. When I look at my filter after I use regular dino oil, it's this dreadful labrea tar pit of stickiness that could act as a fly trap. I just feel more comfortable with the dino oil these days.

• freetimeod

Posted February 02, 2009 - 04:21 PM

What about UNI? Is that a decent filter oil? (I also use their cleaner).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2009 - 04:37 PM

When I look at my filter after I use regular dino oil, it's this dreadful labrea tar pit of stickiness that could act as a fly trap. I just feel more comfortable with the dino oil these days.

By "dino oil" I assume you're using a petroleum based filter oil, and not just engine oil, right? Good.

I would call not having a bucket of nasty sovent I have to dunk my filters in with my hands a pretty good "ease of use".

"No-Toil has serious shortcomings as a filter oil" No from what I have seen it doesn't. And I ride in so cal too.

Since you seem averse to putting your hands in "nasty" things, I'll venture that you use gloves when you oil your filters. Why would you not use them while washing the filters? The label on NT Cleaner or Oxy-Clean doesn't look that much nicer to me than a little mineral spirits. Having used both, my current method is both faster and easier than No-Toil.

And having used both while riding through the mid-pack of a 2 1/2 hour desert race, I can tell you that FFT is a far better filter oil.

But as I said, that's my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

• DrzDasher

Posted February 02, 2009 - 05:46 PM

To each his own, right? I don't like any of those methods. You are supposed to clean and oil those filter thingys? opps

• DCaddy

Posted February 02, 2009 - 07:19 PM

I dunno, I'm torn on no-toil, sometime I use it, sometimes I don't. And while my bike hasn't blown up, I don't think that's a fair judge of it since it's a 2 stroke and they can suck dirt and not really give much of a rat's ass, one way or the other. Lately I've quit using it because I've decided that ( without any scientific evidence ) it's just to thin to be working. The stuff is like water. When I look at my filter after I use regular dino oil, it's this dreadful labrea tar pit of stickiness that could act as a fly trap. I just feel more comfortable with the dino oil these days.

When I purchased my No-Toil kit, I was told to be sure to shake and mix it well as it is a chronic problem because the product separates leaving very thin oil on the top portion of the bottle. I do like it though, biodegradeable and I dump my wash bucket into flower garden. No mess, no gloves, no problems. Great in the dez too if you have a gallon of water with you it's easy to get your filter clean with this stuff.

• Thaulass

Posted February 02, 2009 - 08:00 PM

Anen friend been using the stuff for six years and not one problem. I use the "oil" in 3 other bikes and just wait untill I get a whole load for the washer, hang dry in Blowmona, CA and good to go.

• ranger85

Posted February 02, 2009 - 08:20 PM

I don't care for the stuff, it's to thin. I also use Maxima FFT and Belray Foam Filter oil and think there are no better than these, super tacky, you can't get the No-toil to be that tacky. I used to use No-toil, but after having way to much dust and sand sucked into the intake, I quit using it and haven't had any problems since. I find the cleaning/oiling process no more cumbersome than No-Toil.

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 03, 2009 - 12:23 AM

I used it once...not a fan. Found some dust w/ that oil and the fact that the filter was easy to clean was not a consolation. I've gone the Maxima FFT route and the intake tract has been operating room clean ever since.

If I had an XR type bike or a two smoker I'd be tempted to use it...but not on a TI valved 4 stroke.

• matt4x4

Posted February 03, 2009 - 05:33 AM

My method is very similar to Greyracers, we use UNI filter oil - it's sticky consistency hasn't let us down yet and most of our summers are spent riding VERY dusty clay track - and if you know how fine clay particles are - well, you can't get much finer than that. We have yet to see the slightest amount of dust in the boot.

I keep several coffee cans in teh garage for this:
Mineral spirits in a coffee can - just gently soak/squeeze the filter in the can and squeeze it out once clean, I then move on to a mild automobile soap rinse to further clean the remaining oil/spirit mixture out of the filter (household soap isn't very kind to foam).
Rinse with plenty of water.
After drying (usually in the sun, or just air dry) I recoat them in Uni oil and the spares get put into individual ziplock bags for when they are needed.

I let the dirt sludge settle in the coffee can, pour off the mineral spirits on top into a clean coffee can, then transfer the sludge to an old oil container, rinse the coffee can with just a shot of the previously used mineral spirits and have the rinsed can ready for the next transfer.

Many people make the mistake of using varsol - but it dries out the foam and kills your filter prematurely where mineral spirits does not.

• terbeaux

Posted February 03, 2009 - 12:03 PM

What about UNI? Is that a decent filter oil? (I also use their cleaner).

I've been using the UNI cleaner and oil for a few years now and it works great. The cleaner cleans really well and the oil is easy to apply and isn't too thick or thin. YMMV.

• Charles De Mar

Posted February 03, 2009 - 01:31 PM

IMO, No-Toil has serious shortcomings as a filter oil. It is not initially tacky enough, and tends to loose what tackiness it has in fairly short order (like sitting in the bike for 3-4 days prior to a ride). It does not filter/trap/apprehend the extremely fine dust in SoCal well enough to use, and frankly, the so-called "ease of use" is overrated.

I use Maxima FFT. I also have 3 filters for each bike. I oil clean ones in advance, and hang them out so that the volatile vehicles in the oil can evaporate, which prevents the oil running off the filter in the air box or elsewhere, then bag them the next day in 1 gallon Zip-Locs until I need them.

After a ride, I remove the dirty filter and wash it in a plastic bucket containing 2 gallons of mineral spirits (like shop solvent). It takes only about two minutes or less to do this, and I reuse the same solvent for 6 months or more. The dirt settles to the bottom and pretty much stays there between washings, so the only issue really is that the solvent becomes saturated with filter oil; not really a bad thing.

Then, I wring the filter and hang it out to dry, to be oiled another day, and install the freshly oiled one from its storage bag.

Simple, 5 minute process, and FFT is much more effective as a filter oil.

how do you dispose of your bucket 'O' solvent. I usually clean every two rides no matter how long or how dirty the ride(I use no toil) and change my oil more often than recommended. I then take the oil to my local lube Alley and they dispose of it properly to be recycled.

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2009 - 03:49 PM

Local auto repair spot that takes used oil takes the solvent, too, including the layer of sludge at the bottom of the bucket. They charge me $5 for that, but it's only twice a year or so, so it's no big deal.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.