2003 WR450 up-grade so far

8 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 01, 2009 - 06:13 PM

OK, so I 've had the WR for a couple of weeks. It ran so-so, and had bent and unfriendly controls, so I did some upgrades.

The JD jet kit went in, and cured all the running problems. Going from a 160 to a 170 main, and the Red needle really transformed how the bike runs. It will still bog if you go for WOT in low rpms, but you really have to whack it for it to bog. Throttle response is so good now, that I don't see a need for that anyway.

Tag 1 1/8" risers/adaptors with Protapers and Cycra handguards really cleaned up the cockpit. I re-routed all wires, attached brighter front turn signals to the headlight shroud, and checked all wiring connections.

Pics coming.

Who wants to go explore?:)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 01, 2009 - 06:39 PM

OK, so I 've had the WR for a couple of weeks. It ran so-so, and had bent and unfriendly controls, so I did some upgrades.

The JD jet kit went in, and cured all the running problems. Going from a 160 to a 170 main, and the Red needle really transformed how the bike runs. It will still bog if you go for WOT in low rpms, but you really have to whack it for it to bog. Throttle response is so good now, that I don't see a need for that anyway.

Tag 1 1/8" risers/adaptors with Protapers and Cycra handguards really cleaned up the cockpit. I re-routed all wires, attached brighter front turn signals to the headlight shroud, and checked all wiring connections.

Pics coming.

Who wants to go explore?:)

I'll go exploring with you. I just had my suspension done on the yz250 and want to go try it out (whoops, hills, rocks, etc...)

We both can get acquainted with our "new" (to us) bikes.

btw... I know how clean your X looks and I will be jealous of your cleaned wr450 cockpit. My wr450 looks like hell since I began racing it two years ago. I really need to reset it back to a normal appearance and start all over again.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 01, 2009 - 07:07 PM

I'll go exploring with you. I just had my suspension done on the yz250 and want to go try it out (whoops, hills, rocks, etc...)

We both can get acquainted with our "new" (to us) bikes.

btw... I know how clean your X looks and I will be jealous of your cleaned wr450 cockpit. My wr450 looks like hell since I began racing it two years ago. I really need to reset it back to a normal appearance and start all over again.

I mean dual sport exploring, no trucks, no gas cans, .....

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 01, 2009 - 07:28 PM

I mean dual sport exploring, no trucks, no gas cans, .....

Hmmm... there's nothing close to my house for this. I always have to trailer it somewhere.

Next time then...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 01, 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hmmm... there's nothing close to my house for this. I always have to trailer it somewhere.

Next time then...

Yeah, so we start from my house.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 01, 2009 - 08:16 PM

It will still bog if you go for WOT in low rpms

did you do the o-ring mod? i did it on my 06 and now my 08....no bog at all :)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 01, 2009 - 08:20 PM

did you do the o-ring mod? i did it on my 06 and now my 08....no bog at all :)

Yes, I did the thick o-ring. It made my X sketchy as hell on hills, but it works great on the WR. The bog that is left could be tuned out with some messing with the AP duration and timing, and I will get to it some day. For now it runs good enough. It only bogs when I check to see if it bogs, not when I am just riding.

So, what is up with all the vibration? My hands go numb in 40 miles!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 01, 2009 - 08:29 PM

So, what is up with all the vibration? My hands go numb in 40 miles!

What grips are you using? i found that with a soft grip the vibration bothered me alot...now i run rental full waffle hard compound and i don't have any issues

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 01, 2009 - 08:48 PM

I'm running left overs for now. The left and right don't even match :)
I suppose off road the vibration will be less noticable, as I will not be in constant throttle mode. I rode the horse trails near my house for about 25 miles last weekend, before I did this first phase of the re-do. I can't wait to ride dirt with a non-stumbling, straight-barred, all-greased-up mount....

Next is the swingarm greasing, stiffer rear spring install, rub strip, and chain/sprocket change. I might need to re-valve the rear, as I am OUT of compression adjustment; it is all the way firm.......................................

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.