Valve check on 07 wr450

8 replies to this topic
  • Blackmax

Posted February 01, 2009 - 10:26 AM

I've decided to do the valve check myself and have taken most everything off. Do I need to take off the two engine mounts on the top ?

• Blackmax

Posted February 01, 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hey guys, I had to use a bar but I was able to get the bolts off. I have no idea why the mounts were put on so tight. Maybe the mechanic who did the last valve check for me used air.

• brad the best

Posted February 01, 2009 - 01:42 PM

they probably had some loctight on them , or the old alluminum vs steel = fusion .

i usually put never seize on those bolts , never had them come loose .

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 01, 2009 - 11:32 PM

There should be a white chalky substance on the threads of the bolts.

The first time I removed the mounts it took alot of effort. Even torqued to spec it took alot of effort the second time. I'm convinced its the white chalky substance on the threads.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brad the best

Posted February 01, 2009 - 11:52 PM

There should be a white chalky substance on the threads of the bolts.

The first time I removed the mounts it took alot of effort. Even torqued to spec it took alot of effort the second time. I'm convinced its the white chalky substance on the threads.

the white chalky stuff is the zinc coating off the bolts corroding in the aluminum unlike metals tend to fuse together .

• Blackmax

Posted February 02, 2009 - 09:31 AM

Yes, there is a lot of the white stuff on the bolts. I will put a bit of neversieze on them. Could you guys tell me what sealent you use on the head cover gasket? Maybe R.T.V. silicone ? And the good news is my valves are all within spec. :)

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 02, 2009 - 10:36 AM

Could you guys tell me what sealent you use on the head cover gasket?

i dont put anything on mine

And the good news is my valves are all within spec. :)

this suprised you :lol: dude its a yamaha :lol: :lol:

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 02, 2009 - 02:47 PM

the white chalky stuff is the zinc coating off the bolts corroding in the aluminum unlike metals tend to fuse together .

:lol:

The next time I have the bike appart anti seize is going on them bolts :)

The valve cover gasket is good to go. Just torque the bolts to spec and it'll seal properly!

• hillclimbguy

Posted February 02, 2009 - 09:30 PM

This will be probably the only time you check your valves. Mine are still in spec after two years. I checked a year ago.
By a honda if you want to adjust valves or change them often. : )

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.