Hard to start 2006 CRF450

6 replies to this topic
  • chrisbradley44

Posted February 01, 2009 - 05:56 AM

My 2006 CRF450 is a pain to start the 1st time of the day. Jetting is stock, fuel screw is stock and engine only has 10 hours on it so no valve issues. Any ideas? Or any special starting procedures do the trick?

Also a friend has a 2008 CRF250 and 2009 CRF 250 and they both are a pain to start also....all three bikes start fine when warm. We are in Atlanta 500-1000ft.

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted February 01, 2009 - 06:00 AM

ummmm temperature?

• chrisbradley44

Posted February 01, 2009 - 06:12 AM

its been 45-55 degrees out in the morning when we are starting up. The colder it is the worse it seems. None of us had problems with previous bikes...non of the previous bikes were Hondas.

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted February 01, 2009 - 06:25 AM

wouldnt say it's a problem......it's jetting......try backing out the fuel screw 1/2 turn and using the search feature.....hope that helps

• Mike_socal

Posted February 01, 2009 - 08:21 AM

Check your decompressor setting. Make sure it's dead on or run a little tighter .023 ish. Measuring with one gauge on the valve shim and one in the decompressor is usually the best way.

• Dino 615

Posted February 01, 2009 - 08:54 AM

When it's cooler out I just hit the throttle 6 or 7 times, even with the choke on, before I try to start it. When the cylinder is cold the the initial fuel that goes into the cylinder vaporizes and sticks to the cylinder walls so it does not want to combust. By hitting the throttle a few extra times I alleviating this problem by adding the fuel in manually rather than getting a little every time I kick the bike. If it's really cold I usually have to do that, kick it a couple times, then do it again and it fires right up. After that it starts first kick, very easily, the rest of the day.

• mostoyzwinz

Posted February 23, 2009 - 07:56 PM

Try what I have to do. Give it 2-3 squirts, kick it through slowly for 2-3 kicks to suck in some fuel. Then slowly kick is just past TDC on the compression stroke, give it a squirt, ensure the kickstarter is all the way up (you might have to bump it a little to get that last 'click up'), give it one more squire and a hard swift kick. If everything is set right, it'll fire. This works for me when the temps are down into the 20's F.

Then again, when the valve wear to a no clearance condition, I'm SOL...but with 10 hrs you're right, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

My '05 CRF450R has 'starting characteristics' that change a bit over time.

Good Luck

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2003 crf450r by bain33

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2013 CRF 450R suspension re-valve....Pro Circuit, ENZO, or Race Tech? by joshua.andres

• Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Best clutch for my needs by x2fanatic

• Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

TRAIL READY 13 CRF 450R? by ShazzaM

• Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help with 2013 crf450 motor by souliog

• Hot  75 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.