Does anyone know the Rev Limiter RPM???

6 replies to this topic
  • RonC

Posted February 12, 2001 - 09:30 PM

WR400 year 2000 stock...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 13, 2001 - 05:59 AM

You can click on the "search" button up top there... and type in "rev limiter" when you get there.
It will show you other peoples posts in the past with info about the rev limiter.

• Hick

Posted February 13, 2001 - 07:32 AM

I read your other post, since nobody has answered you I’ll take a stab. I forgot the exact rev limit, but I believe it is 11,500 rpm. I also forgot the exact primary reduction, but I believe a WR should be going around 94 mph at the rev limiter with 14/50 (is that stock?) gearing.

Sorry, I’ve got a YZ.

I could easily be off by 4 mph, so I’d say your are hitting the rev limiter and nothing is wrong with your bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RonC

Posted February 13, 2001 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Hick,

A mechanic is Vegas told me 11,500 also. But the 5th gear ratio is .84 ...what does that mean. (.84 engine revolutions to 1 front sprocket rev...) Of course it can't. You'd be doing 300 MPH! :) What is the ratio between the engine and the transmission input, or the transmission output and the front sprocket. If we knew that we could calculate the RPMs at rev limit from the bike speed. Something beside the transmission and sprockets is changing the ratio by a little over 3 to 1.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted February 13, 2001 - 02:51 PM

Perhaps this will help:

• Hick

Posted February 13, 2001 - 03:06 PM

Originally posted by RonC:
Something beside the transmission and sprockets is changing the ratio by a little over 3 to 1.

That is the primary reduction ratio, or simply the # of teeth on clutch gear divided by # of teeth on main gear. I counted this the last time I had my YZ apart and forgot what it was exactly, I only remember that it was somewhere around 3.2 or something so my 94 mph calculation is probably not very accurate.

So the crank drives the clutch via the main gear, the clutch spins main shaft that hub is splined to, gears on main shaft spin countershaft via another set of gears. Each gear has two parts (but there are only nine in the cases because one first gear is integral to the main shaft), and the .84 is just the # of teeth on the countershaft (5th) gear divided by the # of teeth on the main shaft (5th) gear.

I think the # of teeth on each gear is given in the manual, maybe the primary ratio is buried in there somewhere as well.

• Taffy

Posted February 13, 2001 - 09:02 PM

what does the rev limiter feel like?

when i ride mine on the road i get a misfire every 3 or 4 seconds. like someone is jabbing the kill button. is this it?

dan lorenze can you help?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.