WR tranny in a YZ?

4 replies to this topic
  • roadracer618

Posted January 31, 2009 - 06:33 AM

Has anyone done the conversion?

I was also wondering if the newer 450 tranny would swap into the 2005 motor.

I have a new to me 2005 YZ450 and will be running it on road courses 7 or 8 times this year.

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted January 31, 2009 - 08:44 AM

Did you try looking in Common Threads? The one that says, "Look here first"?

Yes, you can swap in a 5 speed from an '03-'06 WR, and yes, it's been done.

No, you can't use the '06 and later YZ trans; it's 12mm wider.

Details in Common Threads.

At least one member used a YZ400/426 5 speed, but that required machine work and a lot of cut and fit work. It worked, but it was a PITA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • divebobber

Posted January 31, 2009 - 08:14 PM

Grayracer, you've got me curious about your background. Are you a Yamaha mechanic, or just one of those guys who retains and understands everything? I am amazed with the amount of knowledge you have about Yamahas. I have yet to see a question that you didn't have an answer for, down to the millimeter.

• roadracer618

Posted February 02, 2009 - 07:37 AM

Did you try looking in Common Threads? The one that says, "Look here first"?

Yes, you can swap in a 5 speed from an '03-'06 WR, and yes, it's been done.

No, you can't use the '06 and later YZ trans; it's 12mm wider.

Details in Common Threads.

At least one member used a YZ400/426 5 speed, but that required machine work and a lot of cut and fit work. It worked, but it was a PITA.

Grayracer,

Thank you for the assistance. One more question. Can this be done by a mortal or would it require a mechanical back round?

Semper Fi!
Again, Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2009 - 08:05 AM

If you are swapping an '03-'06 WR trans into your '05 YZ, it's a simple bolt-in operation. If you have good basic assembly skills, it should not be terribly challenging for anyone who has previously worked with a motorcycle crankcase/trans before. The most challenging element will be that you'll be assembling something that you didn't take apart. That and the YZ transmission was apparently designed to be assembled by an octopus anyway, and requires a certain level of dexterity to get everything in place. But yes, a "mortal" can certainly do this.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.