street legal supermoto in ontario

14 replies to this topic
  • paxman

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

is a metal fuel tank needed inorder to be street legal in ontario,canada or anywhere ?
and how much of a hassle is it to take a 450 with dirt or even sm wheels and turn it into a street legal beast

• achap

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

no metal tank needed in California... not sure of the legal specifics of turning your dirt bike into a street machine in Ontario... it's quite a chore in CA...

give your DMV a call and see what they say... some places it can be pretty simple...

• motarded426

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

no metal tank needed in California... not sure of the legal specifics of turning your dirt bike into a street machine in Ontario... it's quite a chore in CA...

give your DMV a call and see what they say... some places it can be pretty simple...

agreed; call the DMV.:banana: No metal tank needed here in CO; it's pretty easy right now to plate a dirt bike (VIN verifcation, certificate of equipment conplience, and proof of insurance); in the near future that's unfortunately going to change..

• paxman

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

k thanks

• Z1Krob

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

is a metal fuel tank needed inorder to be street legal in ontario,canada or anywhere ?
and how much of a hassle is it to take a 450 with dirt or even sm wheels and turn it into a street legal beast

You can't convert dirt bikes to street bikes in Ontario anymore. You will have to find one that has already been converted before they outlawed it or buy one legal from the factory.

If you are looking in the trader/Kijiji/Craigslist, look for bikes being advertised as "Blue plated."

• bevo

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

Spoke to Machine racing and they tried to find a loophole to get the MX bikes legal, they gave up.

Only option is to buy a new one like the KTM, Husaberg, Husky, get the SM wheels with the Dirt wheels, best of both.

• promac

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

Even if you did manage to get an MX bike licenced in Ontario, finding an insurer might be another problem. Kingsway General Insurance Company has a reputation of writing policies on bikes that others won't. Anyway, you might want to keep that in mind before spending a wad of cash trying to make your MX street legal. If you're interested in a Husqvarna, Ross Rocher Sales sells them. I bought my SM610 from them - they were great people to deal with - very knowledgeable and reasonable. They could answer any licencing questions as well.

• dirtedDave

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

i dont know how it's working in ontario but I would think that it's similar to what we have here in Quebec. And unfortunately if your bike is not aproved by the Canada transport agency as a road bike at first then it's not possible to modify it in order to be a road bike... so CR, CRF, YZF WR etc that are not roadbike at the beginning will never be. Even those who used to have modified their MX into supermoto and were aproved by ty SAAQ have been put out roads... that sucks.

The best way is to go with an out of the box street legal supermoto or use a 50/50 and mod it to a supermoto.

• Skidooer

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:31 AM

On that note, anyone know if a street legal DRZ SM with a stock metal tank can run a plastic tank legally?

• promac

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

On that note, anyone know if a street legal DRZ SM with a stock metal tank can run a plastic tank legally?

Once its plated, whos going to know or complain? I don't see it being a problem. I can't see any LEO looking to nail someone for having a plastic tank, so go for it.

• urymoto

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

Once its plated, whos going to know or complain? I don't see it being a problem. I can't see any LEO looking to nail someone for having a plastic tank, so go for it.

seriously..man its like asking if its legal to put a big bore kit...who knows? but even more importantly, who gives a shit

• xcape

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

Here in BC we can put any dirt bike on the road no problem. Once registered as a street bike here I would assume you could ship it and insure it there ?

• brookes_180

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Its impossible to make an offroad motorcycle street legal in Ontario. I've been researching this for a while and I havent found any way to do it. The only possibility is if the clerk at the DVL doesnt know what they're doing. I've tried a few around here and no luck. Almost got it through with one clerk but she decided to call head office to check at the last minute and they shut it down. If you come across something that works let us know.

• promac

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

Almost got it through with one clerk but she decided to call head office to check at the last minute and they shut it down. If you come across something that works let us know.

Too bad you weren't in there on a Saturday morning..........head office is closed. Have a picture of an R1 or something and show it to the clerk. :p

• Z1Krob

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

I've never been bothered about mine. I even got it certified with it on.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.