KDX to KX Fork Conversion

15 replies to this topic
  • AtomicGeo

Posted January 30, 2009 - 01:38 PM

Will these KX triple clamps work in trying to convert my KDX to KX-like inverted forks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

• MTO

Posted January 30, 2009 - 09:39 PM

Yes those will work. You'll need to get the kdx stem pressed into the bottom clamp.

• Ski Pro 3

Posted January 30, 2009 - 10:19 PM

Maybe. Is the new stem pressed in? Is the new stem same diameter as your KDX stem? Who knows.....

With the stock KX T-clamp, then yes, the stems are swappable. With an aftermarket stem it's a crapshoot.

Also, that's a fat bar set-up. You will need new bars to work with them.

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 31, 2009 - 08:59 AM

MTO and skipro3:

Thanks.

I decided just to go with a stock '03 KX125 T-clamp instead (my KDX220 is also an '03) to make sure the KDX stem transfers over. Only thing I am seeing as a problem now is the way the KDX headlight will mount to the KX T-clamps.

Maybe. Is the new stem pressed in? Is the new stem same diameter as your KDX stem? Who knows.....

With the stock KX T-clamp, then yes, the stems are swappable. With an aftermarket stem it's a crapshoot.

Also, that's a fat bar set-up. You will need new bars to work with them.

• Ski Pro 3

Posted January 31, 2009 - 11:00 AM

That won't work either. What year forks you have? I assumed from the initial ebay auction that it was 1999-2001 forks. 2003 forks are a different size. Get the same year clamp as your forks to be sure they both will work with each other.

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 31, 2009 - 11:10 AM

I think your are misunderstanding what I was asking. I am using '03 KX125 forks, '03 KX125 T-clamps, and I am pressing in the '03 KDX stem into the lower KX clamp. With the entire setup going on to my KDX. This should work right?

That won't work either. What year forks you have? I assumed from the initial ebay auction that it was 1999-2001 forks. 2003 forks are a different size. Get the same year clamp as your forks to be sure they both will work with each other.

• Ski Pro 3

Posted January 31, 2009 - 09:53 PM

I think your are misunderstanding what I was asking. I am using '03 KX125 forks, '03 KX125 T-clamps, and I am pressing in the '03 KDX stem into the lower KX clamp. With the entire setup going on to my KDX. This should work right?

O.K., that should work then. Those first clamps you started this thread with would NOT work with '03 KX forks. I didn't see what year forks you were using and just guessed they were '99 to '02 because of the clamp you were contemplating.

When you get the stem pressed out of your clamps, both the KDX and the KX, try and be in the shop and be sure the person doing the job is pressing the stem out the right direction.

• AtomicGeo

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:16 PM

Ok, this winter I broke down I did my fork conversion upgrade. I put on a set of 2003 KX125 forks on my 2003 KDX220R.

Here is what the bike looked like on the operating table (Harbor Freight Lift):
Posted Image

Posted Image

A side view has a set of blue tape strips to mark the position of the level riding geometry for the KDX forks. This way I know exactly how much to push up the KX forks into the triple clamps so that I can regain the stock level geometry with the KX forks:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Next, I completely remove the front end. Not shown here, but the triple clamp assembly also has to come off.:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KDXGarage

Posted March 10, 2009 - 03:33 AM

Dude. You have your priorities in order! The KDX is pretty much the only thing in the whole garage. :p

• Knowledge seeker

Posted March 10, 2009 - 05:00 AM

So, going by what its been posted here, I have a '06 KDX200, would I need a '06 KX125 so the conversion will work?

• hi_im_sean

Posted March 10, 2009 - 05:07 AM

So, going by what its been posted here, I have a '06 KDX200, would I need a '06 KX125 so the conversion will work?

absolutely not. the years of stems and front ends has nothing to do with compatibility. the kdx stem has been the same since 95, and maybe even longer. 95-06 were indentical except graphics and colors. just because he had an 03 doesnt mean he needed an 03 kx front end, that doesnt even make sense, i think he just happened to have 03 forks and needed 03+ everything to work. your are doing a modifacation use what ever you want. you need to think in terms of generations. 99-02 kx and 03+ kx

• Knowledge seeker

Posted March 10, 2009 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for clarifying that.

• AtomicGeo

Posted March 10, 2009 - 07:01 PM

It's an operating room.

Dude. You have your priorities in order! The KDX is pretty much the only thing in the whole garage. :p

• AtomicGeo

Posted March 10, 2009 - 07:32 PM

Ok, after working out some issues with my camera during the project, I finally have it completed. Here is the result:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In this picture you see that I used the KDX brake line and caliper. It has just barely enough length to reach:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The other things I did that I don't have pics for are:
1.) KDX stem is pressed into lower KX triple clamp.
2.) the stem bearings used were from the KDX
3.) the stem had to be shimmed (I used a Dr. Pepper aluminum can) in the upper clamp to make a snug fit.
3.) the KDX headlight brackets had to me modded to mount on the lower clamp, but they fit well on the upper clamp fork bolts (see next pic).
4.) I used the KDX fender and it mounted right up w/ no problem at all on the KX lower clamp.
5.) My bike is dual sported, so I had to do some re-wiring for the headlight and horn wires.

Pic of how headlight was mounted on upper triple clamp bolts:
Posted Image

Here's a view of handlebar and controls:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• MTO

Posted March 10, 2009 - 07:40 PM

It looks like you did a great job! :p
Give us a ride report when you can.

• AtomicGeo

Posted July 25, 2010 - 12:05 PM

This is a repost for the benefit of a fellow TTer who was wanting to see the pics of the original post and the links to the pics were destroyed.

Ok, this winter I broke down I did my fork conversion upgrade. I put on a set of 2003 KX125 forks on my 2003 KDX220R.

Here is what the bike looked like on the operating table (Harbor Freight Lift):
Posted Image

Posted Image

A side view has a set of blue tape strips to mark the position of the level riding geometry for the KDX forks. This way I know exactly how much to push up the KX forks into the triple clamps so that I can regain the stock level geometry with the KX forks:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Next, I completely remove the front end. Not shown here, but the triple clamp assembly also has to come off.:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, after working out some issues with my camera during the project, I finally have it completed. Here is the result:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In this picture you see that I used the KDX brake line and caliper. It has just barely enough length to reach:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The other things I did that I don't have pics for are:
1.) KDX stem is pressed into lower KX triple clamp.
2.) the stem bearings used were from the KDX
3.) the stem had to be shimmed (I used a Dr. Pepper aluminum can) in the upper clamp to make a snug fit.
3.) the KDX headlight brackets had to me modded to mount on the lower clamp, but they fit well on the upper clamp fork bolts (see next pic).
4.) I used the KDX fender and it mounted right up w/ no problem at all on the KX lower clamp.
5.) My bike is dual sported, so I had to do some re-wiring for the headlight and horn wires.

Pic of how headlight was mounted on upper triple clamp bolts:
Posted Image

Here's a view of handlebar and controls:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope this helps.

Geo

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Kx 125 Build by NzJohny

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

kx 125 clutch basket help by mhogan1000

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Cycra Pro Bend handguards? by wydopen

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 kx100 wont hit powerband by kxkid110

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Help, what year model is this? KX125 by Rinox88

• 14 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.