Reliability of the WR450

15 replies to this topic
  • Summit Seeker

Posted January 30, 2009 - 11:29 AM

I have a 06 450 wr and I was wondering how Reliable other riders have found this engine to be. If you could be so kind as to let me know what problems you have encountered with this engine and what kind of riding you do, be it street,enduro,racing. Maybe you might have a hour meter or odometer reading at time of failure or what is the most miles you have riden on this bike. thank you fellow bike riders. Dok

• WGP

Posted January 30, 2009 - 11:33 AM

Yamaha=Reliability:banana:

5 valves:banana:

Change oil, clean air filter, check valve clearances every 20 hours :banana:

• djv5

Posted January 30, 2009 - 12:57 PM

I had done over 10,000 miles of motard, dualsport, commuting and trail riding with my 2003 WR450. I purchased it new in February of 2003.

What a great reliable bike! I was very impressed with the power after I uncorked the bike - free mods, added a JD jet kit, and Yosh RS3 full exhaust.

The 2003 models did have a factory recall to check a possible starter woodruff key problem the affected a small batch of bikes, but my bike was checked and never had a problem. And it only required a single valve adjustment in 2006.

I can remember replacing the following maintenance items myself:

Front wheel bearings
Front brake pads
Rear brake pads
Chain & sprockets
Weep seals for water pump shaft
Battery

Sold the bike May of 2008 for $3,000 and purchased a "new" leftover 2007 WR450 for $6,000. The '07 with the aluminum perimter frame feels lighter and more nimble, but everything else is pretty much the same. I wish the OE gas tank was bigger.

• h20mn

Posted January 30, 2009 - 04:04 PM

have an 06 wr450, ride open desert in So. Ca. Have zero problems change oil every 200 miles and have only had to adjust valves twice. Only because the shop did it wrong after break in. My only gripe is wish had more range on stock tank and the way the chain slaps on the sub. frame.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 30, 2009 - 04:47 PM

the way the chain slaps on the sub. frame.

I have designed an aluminium/nylon guide to prevent this.
I'm having a bunch of aluminium plates plasma cut at the moment in preparation for manufacture.

They should be ready to begin selling in about 3 weeks or so.

They look neat, bolt right onto the swingarm, with no extra holes to drill or anything.

Watch this space! (I'll be advertising them here in Thumpertalk.)
I think they will be priced at $US50 plus shipping.

Greg :banana:

• Zadok

Posted January 30, 2009 - 06:18 PM

I'm having a bunch of aluminium plates plasma cut at the moment in preparation for manufacture.

They look neat, bolt right onto the swingarm, with no extra holes to drill or anything.

Greg :banana:

Any pics?

Sounds like a good add.:lol:

• Icelandic_amateur

Posted February 07, 2009 - 09:08 PM

Greg :)

Sounds good Greg.
Any pictures of this product yet?

Greetings Hannes
//WR 450 - 2005

• WR450FGreg

Posted February 08, 2009 - 10:50 AM

Sorry for the delay guys. I forgot to come back!

I have just begun production. I'll be advertising them in the Thumpertalk store within a week or so.
$US50 plus shipping.

A lot cheaper (up to 40% cheaper!) than other chain blocks currently available. ..... and unlike others this one stops chain slap to the left and the right!

Thanks for your interest,
Greg

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted February 08, 2009 - 11:13 AM

Sorry for the delay guys. I forgot to come back!

I have just begun production. I'll be advertising them in the Thumpertalk store within a week or so.
$US50 plus shipping.

A lot cheaper (up to 40% cheaper!) than other chain blocks currently available. ..... and unlike others this one stops chain slap to the left and the right!

Thanks for your interest,
Greg

Posted Image

Looks really good, you better make lots of them to keep up with demand!:)

• acarter92

Posted February 08, 2009 - 11:21 AM

Looks like you got yourself a good product there Greg. I never had the chain slap problem ( I don't over tighten my chain), but I know of lots of people that have it really bad and could use something like this.

Austin

• Baja trail Rider

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:24 PM

I have Wrs-07-250-450 no problems so far,great bikes for riding in Baja.As for the chain slap.I glued the chain slider to the swing arm,and took a pvc pipe cut it heated it over the sub frame.

• JimmyBee

Posted February 08, 2009 - 11:06 PM

I have Wrs-07-250-450 no problems so far,great bikes for riding in Baja.As for the chain slap.I glued the chain slider to the swing arm,and took a pvc pipe cut it heated it over the sub frame.

I would like to see a pic of that. Does it do away with that ''slap''?

• Summit Seeker

Posted February 23, 2009 - 12:37 PM

Thank you all for your Replies

• Baja trail Rider

Posted February 23, 2009 - 10:44 PM

To JB yes no more chain slap.ZERO

• diegox450

Posted March 10, 2009 - 09:01 AM

Do you have any pic, please????

thanks in advance!!

• Zadok

Posted March 10, 2009 - 09:59 AM

A pic would be great if you can.....Thanks.....:p :moon: :ride: :lol: :moon:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.