New 09 Yz450 owner

7 replies to this topic
  • mc1hd

Posted January 30, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Hello, this is my first post and have a question about the airbox on my new Yz 450. This is the first bike I was ever able to purchase in the crate and looked forward to setting it up myself. Upon tearing the bike down to grease everything I soon found out the subframe airbox was going to be a pain. Removing it was not so bad but I could see putting it back together was going to be a chore. After alot of cussing ended up having to remove the top shock bolt and drop the shock down to get the airbox reattached to the carb. Please tell me there is a better easier way to do this.

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 30, 2009 - 09:22 AM

not that I know of. I have heard that its a pain, most people just say screw it and remove it with subframe and reinstall as one piece. The shock does have to unbolt though. Maybe someone will have a different approach.

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2009 - 10:31 AM

Remove the air box from the sub frame (two bolt on top, two under the rear fender). You should be able to slip it onto the carb and clamp it in place without moving the shock. Then slip the sub frame on over the air box. This is by far the easiest method I've tried to make this reassembly.

• mc1hd

Posted January 31, 2009 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the tip grayracer, never thought of doing it that way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • awesomeyz

Posted February 02, 2009 - 01:46 PM

on mine (08 yz 450) i just removed the subframe completely with airbox still bolted to subframe. No need to remove airbox from subframe. No need to remove shock. It is a tight fit, however.

• mxracer206

Posted February 02, 2009 - 04:57 PM

Remove the air box from the sub frame (two bolt on top, two under the rear fender). You should be able to slip it onto the carb and clamp it in place without moving the shock. Then slip the sub frame on over the air box. This is by far the easiest method I've tried to make this reassembly.

Definately the easiest way grayracer, if I am just pulling the shock sometimes I do not even loosen the air boot clamp and leave the air box on the bike.

• Dirtbiker05

Posted February 02, 2009 - 06:40 PM

i have also found that loosening the carb boot holding the carb to the motor has also helped with aligning the airbox and the carb. grayracer's way also sounds very good.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2009 - 09:01 PM

Definately the easiest way grayracer, if I am just pulling the shock sometimes I do not even loosen the air boot clamp and leave the air box on the bike.

Quite right. The air boot need not be removed to pull the shock if you do it this way.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.