05 WR450F Torquing cam cap bolts?

20 replies to this topic
  • Jim Herman

Posted January 29, 2009 - 09:08 PM

I'm doing my first valve adjustment and ready to torque the 8mm cap bolts. As the frame drops lower over the back of the motor it leaves less room over the back center bolt. I am using a 3/8 drive torque wrench that won't fit. Any suggestions on tools or technique would be much appreciated.:banana:

• c9buff

Posted January 29, 2009 - 10:38 PM

At first, I thought this would do it as I have the same bike and same problem.

http://www.denniskir...ain&skuId=28729

However, it looks like the wrong size. Maybe motion pro makes one of the appropriate size?

buff

• c9buff

Posted January 29, 2009 - 10:44 PM

Or look at this other one.

http://motionpro.com...torque_setting/

I ended up doing mine be feel. Not correct but I'm curious how others torque these bolts.

buff

• rufusz

Posted January 30, 2009 - 02:41 AM

After you torqued some bolts using the torque wrench, get another wrench, a normal wrench, and put it on the already torqued bolts and try to feel, how much has it been tightened, without overtightening it. Now go and tighten the last one(s). It requires some confidence and some feeling in your hands, but can be done. You must know that a loose cap is much worse than an overtightened cap!

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 30, 2009 - 04:39 AM

I made my own extension by welding a 1/4" drive socket to an 8mm box end wrench. I think I made the offset 2" . Then go here and download the correction calculator.

http://www.belknapto...com/extcalc.asp

• gleaves

Posted January 30, 2009 - 04:46 AM

I played with the calculator some and it seems to work like this: If the extension is 10% of the torque wrench length, then the actual torque at the nut increases by 10% over the setting on the wrench. So a 1 inch extension on a 10 inch wrench increases torque by 10%, 2 inch on a 10 inch wrench is a 20% increase, etc.

Pretty neat.

• SXP

Posted January 30, 2009 - 06:39 AM

Also, some pretty smart guys who have a lifetime automotive/tech background from the YZ side (the moderator, to name one), highly recommend lowering the torque value to 70 inch-pounds instead of the 86 inch-pounds in the manual. Been doing this for the past couple of years with no ill effects.

• Jim Herman

Posted January 30, 2009 - 07:30 AM

Thanks much for all the input. First of all it's good to know I'm not the first to be scratching my head over this! This forum works!

• spidennis

Posted January 30, 2009 - 08:33 AM

so what did you end up using?

I just did mine by feel,
but I'd like to get a torque wrench in there, someday!

• c9buff

Posted January 30, 2009 - 08:38 AM

Hey PBDBlue:

You would'nt have a picture of the tool would you?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RedBull420

Posted January 30, 2009 - 09:13 AM

Also, some pretty smart guys who have a lifetime automotive/tech background from the YZ side (the moderator, to name one), highly recommend lowering the torque value to 70 inch-pounds instead of the 86 inch-pounds in the manual. Been doing this for the past couple of years with no ill effects.

WHat are you referring to that gets 86 ft/lb ?

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 30, 2009 - 09:41 AM

Hey PBDBlue:

You would'nt have a picture of the tool would you?

I don't have a pic of the one I made with a box end wrench but here's one using two sockets. 8mm on one end and the other end any socket just to use the 1/4" drive.

http://farm4.static....f465d82de_o.jpg

• SXP

Posted January 30, 2009 - 10:48 AM

WHat are you referring to that gets 86 ft/lb ?

I was referring to the torque spec for the cam cap bolts which in the manual is 86 in-lb. (not 85 ft-lb - that would be strip city!)

• c9buff

Posted January 30, 2009 - 01:59 PM

Thanks PBDBlue, gonna head to the garage tomorrow.

buff

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2009 - 02:45 PM

In regard to the torque value on the bolts, I recommend limiting it to 75 in/lb (6.25 ft/lb) rather than the prescribed 86 in/lb (7.2 ft/lb). I also very much recommend that the bolts be drawn up in at least 4 steps (in inch pounds): 10, 45, 60, 75.

NEVER draw the cap down against the head with the bolts. You should be able to press the cap very nearly all the way down with your fingers, and tap it into place with a screwdriver handle.

I use a 1/4", 0-120 in/lb flex beam for these, but they are hard to find anymore. Most 1/4" ratchet torque wrenches will fit. If you use a torque adapter/wrench extension, you can avoid all of the calculations/guesswork by attaching them to the wrench at a right angle, so that it sticks out of the wrench to the side, in an "L" shape. When mounted in this manner, you simply read the torque directly. 75 indicated is 75 actual.

• erickdj

Posted January 30, 2009 - 03:01 PM

In regard to the torque value on the bolts, I recommend limiting it to 75 in/lb (6.25 ft/lb) rather than the prescribed 86 in/lb (7.2 ft/lb). I also very much recommend that the bolts be drawn up in at least 4 steps (in inch pounds): 10, 45, 60, 75.

NEVER draw the cap down against the head with the bolts. You should be able to press the cap very nearly all the way down with your fingers, and tap it into place with a screwdriver handle.

I use a 1/4", 0-120 in/lb flex beam for these, but they are hard to find anymore. Most 1/4" ratchet torque wrenches will fit. If you use a torque adapter/wrench extension, you can avoid all of the calculations/guesswork by attaching them to the wrench at a right angle, so that it sticks out of the wrench to the side, in an "L" shape. When mounted in this manner, you simply read the torque directly. 75 indicated is 75 actual.

would something like this be worth the investment for valve checks/etc..?
http://www.sears.com...05_00993097000P

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2009 - 03:14 PM

Something like that, yes. I'm only passingly familiar with that brand, but it should be good for a home hobbyist type use. Just a question of whether it clears everything or not.

• erickdj

Posted January 30, 2009 - 03:26 PM

Something like that, yes. I'm only passingly familiar with that brand, but it should be good for a home hobbyist type use. Just a question of whether it clears everything or not.

Okay, that's good to hear. It certainly would only be for some light home usage, just the occasional valve adjustment and other small things. That's if it even comes to having to adjust the valves, I've got 2 yamahas; an 07 and an 08, so I might still be far away from needing it. I just want to have it so that when I do check the valves I have it handy if I need it.

• gleaves

Posted February 02, 2009 - 02:33 PM

I have a similar 1/4" torque wrench and use it on my WR250F to good effect.

• spidennis

Posted February 02, 2009 - 02:38 PM

I have a similar 1/4" torque wrench and use it on my WR250F to good effect.

I'd like to see a pic of your torque wrench getting to those center intake bolts. anyone?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.