Forks & Shock Swap

12 replies to this topic
  • Boricua

Posted January 29, 2009 - 07:20 PM

Does anyone knows if I can use my old YZ450F '07 suspensions on a new 09 bike? I just send the new ones to be revalve and I have a race this weekend.

• thatkid46

Posted January 29, 2009 - 07:32 PM

ill probly say no, the swingarm and linkage was changed for 09 i believe.

• KJ790

Posted January 29, 2009 - 07:42 PM

The forks should work fine, but you will have to use your 07 front brakes. I'm not sure on the shock, as the linkage changed, but I think the shock itself remained fairly unchanged.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2009 - 09:37 PM

The linkage changed in '08, meaning in part that the later bikes need heavier springs. A shock from an '07 will not work well at all.

At the front, the entire front braking system will need to be moved over along with the fork, like KJ said. Also, the axle is different, and the axle offset was changed.

So, no, it's not really that simple.

• KJ790

Posted January 29, 2009 - 10:00 PM

The linkage changed in '08, meaning in part that the later bikes need heavier springs. A shock from an '07 will not work well at all.

At the front, the entire front braking system will need to be moved over along with the fork, like KJ said. Also, the axle is different, and the axle offset was changed.

So, no, it's not really that simple.

The axle will work as long as he uses the 09 wheel spacers. The front hub hasn't changed since 01, and the overall axle length and diameter is the same from 06-09, just the length of the larger diameter part of the axle changed, which is accounted for with the shorter wheel spacer on that side.

Good call on the shock linkage change, I forgot about that.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2009 - 10:33 PM

I believe your axle info is incorrect, but i don't know that for certain. The bearing diameter is the same, but it seems to me that the diameter of the "big end" is smaller beginning with the '08. The '06-7 and '08 are distinctly different part numbers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted January 30, 2009 - 06:24 AM

I believe your axle info is incorrect, but i don't know that for certain. The bearing diameter is the same, but it seems to me that the diameter of the "big end" is smaller beginning with the '08. The '06-7 and '08 are distinctly different part numbers.

The YZ250F got the new front axle in 07, and I have swapped axles (with the respective wheel spacers) between an 07 YZ250F and an 06 YZ450F. The only difference is the length of the larger diameter. This makes mounting the front tire much easier since the right wheel spacer is really short.

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2009 - 06:31 AM

The YZ250F got the new front axle in 07, and I have swapped axles (with the respective wheel spacers) between an 07 YZ250F and an 06 YZ450F. The only difference is the length of the larger diameter. This makes mounting the front tire much easier since the right wheel spacer is really short.

Good to know. It was always a PITA that both ends of the axle started into the jugs at the same time.

• ace402

Posted February 01, 2009 - 12:45 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread but would forks off of an 06 work on an 05?

From what I've heard the forks on the 06 are night and day better than the 05's

Thanks

• Geoffit

Posted February 01, 2009 - 02:07 PM

The 05 yz fork is the same type (closed cartrige) as the 06 I would say that the 05 is pretty good, you would need to go to 2008 to get the most improvements in the fork. The 06 shock would provide a bigger bang for the buck!

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted February 01, 2009 - 03:02 PM

The 06 fork went to "speed sensitive" damping rather than "position sensitive" as on the 05. The consensus is is that the 06 fork was much better than the 05. I don't think the diameter of the outer tubes changed (Greyracer would know for sure) so an 06 fork should fit the 05 triple clamps.

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2009 - 06:47 PM

The '05 fork is fundamentally the same fork as the '06 and later. With a bit of rework, they can be every bit as good.

I'd recommend contacting Dave Johnson at Smart Peformance, Inc. . You'd spend less with him that you would on used '06 forks, and end up with better results.

• ace402

Posted February 01, 2009 - 06:47 PM

The 05 yz fork is the same type (closed cartrige) as the 06 I would say that the 05 is pretty good, you would need to go to 2008 to get the most improvements in the fork. The 06 shock would provide a bigger bang for the buck!

Would the 06 shock fit? I only remember hearing about the forks being a lot better. Was the 06 shock that much better than the 05?

I'm looking at getting my suspension revalved, would I gain much performance if I bought used 06 equipment and had them revalved instead of my 05?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.