so i searched extensively... q on 426 flooding..

11 replies to this topic
  • motarded426

Posted January 29, 2009 - 06:33 PM

had the bike for about a week, absolutely NO problem starting it until today. Tried starting it today for a while, no avail.. did the usual drill/procedure of starting it and nothing..

i searched the forum archives extensively on how to start, but that's not what i'm concerned with.. How can i get this thing un-flooded? is there such a thing?

thanks for helping a n00b.:banana:

-nick

• 642MX

Posted January 29, 2009 - 08:19 PM

Flooding them is easy to do. Replace the plug and it will probably fire right up.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2009 - 08:43 PM

Flooding is easily cleared by several slower kicks through while holding the throttle and compression release both open.

Fouling is only correctable by changing/cleaning the plug, like the man said.

• motarded426

Posted January 29, 2009 - 09:16 PM

Flooding is easily cleared by several slower kicks through while holding the throttle and compression release both open.

Fouling is only correctable by changing/cleaning the plug, like the man said.

I'll give it a few trys with throttle/compression open; fuel off i assume. Then just go ahead and do the same ol drill to start?

If that doesn't work, i'll go and change the plug tomorrow...

Thanks for the response, i'm a bit technically slow!:banana:

• motarded426

Posted January 29, 2009 - 09:18 PM

Flooding them is easy to do. Replace the plug and it will probably fire right up.

thanks, if i can't get it right with the throttle, plug replacing time!:banana:

• motarded426

Posted January 30, 2009 - 10:19 AM

thanks for the advice guys... changed the plug out this morning and she kicked right over.... l feel a little 'duh' right now...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 30, 2009 - 10:36 AM

thanks for the advice guys... changed the plug out this morning and she kicked right over.... l feel a little 'duh' right now...

Don't feel bad, we've all been there. Remember to completely warm up your bike everytime you start it. YZF's seem to gas foul plugs really easy when they don't get completely warm before shutting them off. (Treat them kind of like a 2 stroke).

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2009 - 11:10 AM

Remember to completely warm up your bike everytime you start it. YZF's seem to gas foul plugs really easy when they don't get completely warm before shutting them off. (Treat them kind of like a 2 stroke).

This is true, but not so much of the YZ450's. The '03 and later had a considerably stronger ignition secondary than the 400/426 did, and are less prone to this. Not impervious, just less prone.

• 642MX

Posted January 30, 2009 - 11:39 AM

This is true, but not so much of the YZ450's. The '03 and later had a considerably stronger ignition secondary than the 400/426 did, and are less prone to this. Not impervious, just less prone.

As does the 03 and up 250F. I guess there is something to the coil in the cap ignitions?...

• motarded426

Posted January 30, 2009 - 12:22 PM

Don't feel bad, we've all been there. Remember to completely warm up your bike everytime you start it. YZF's seem to gas foul plugs really easy when they don't get completely warm before shutting them off. (Treat them kind of like a 2 stroke).

for sure! thanks for the advice!:banana:

• 642MX

Posted January 30, 2009 - 01:30 PM

for sure! thanks for the advice!:lol:

Your welcome. :banana:

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2009 - 02:20 PM

As does the 03 and up 250F. I guess there is something to the coil in the cap ignitions?...

There is, but I doubt it has to do with the configuration as much as simple electrical strength.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.