How do I test electricals? (Stator, coil, and the such)

8 replies to this topic
  • BrandonW

Posted July 24, 2002 - 07:03 AM

Riding my bike last week, it died while doing 60 on the highway.

In attempts to kick it over, it will not start and the head light is not showing signs of juice coing its' way.

I plan on doing a through check for disconnected wires, but after that, how do I test the system?

I have a test light, and that is about it. And I barely know how to run that thing.......

Guy at a local shop (and mentioned here by "overthebars-again") that the stator might be no good. Do I do a visual inspection on that, or is there a less intrusive way to be determining if that is good or not?

Thanks,

Brandon

• lewichris

Posted July 24, 2002 - 07:11 AM

have you checked the spark plug? the wire to the plug all the way to the coil. your plug may be long gone. i had that happen to me. to check electrical you need a ohmmeter with audio continuity checker. then you can check for broken wires and so on. good lich. i will help you out more if you need to. Just give me an IM.

CHris L.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 24, 2002 - 08:42 AM

You need to get a multimeter. They can be had at Radio Shack for about 20 bucks. If you want to get fancy, the manual tells you exactly what brand and model multimeter to get (not at Radio Shack) to ensure that the tests are completely accurate. (Different multimeters have different circuitry inside them and may not give the exact same readings. My experience is that my Radio Shack multimeter gives readings within the ranges specified in the manual.) You can test the continuity of a circuit, resistance, and voltages with a multimeter. You manual will tell you exactly how to test all your electrical components and you don't have to open up the motor to do it.

If you want to do a down and dirty plug check, pull the plug out and put the spark plug cap on it. Ground the plug to the motor and push the kickstarter with your hand a few times. If the plug and cap and coil and stator and circuit is good, you will see a spark jump. You can also get a spark plug tester from Motion Pro for about $12. The problem with that is if any one of those components is bad, you won't get a spark and you still won't know what's bad. You can test the coil and the continuity of the circuit with the multimeter.

• lewichris

Posted July 24, 2002 - 09:06 PM

dont even waste your time with stuff from radio crap
if nothing else go to sears and but a 20 dollar craftsman. that will be better. radio shack stuff is so unreliable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lewichris

Posted July 24, 2002 - 09:11 PM

start checking wired to make sure they go where they are supposed to. also another thing to check is the wire that comes from the coil goes into the part that fits on the plug. that can and has com disconnected on me so you might want to check there. your manual will show you how much resistance is supposed to be between your kill switch and coil and across your coil. I will check my manual tonight and see if i can walk you through it.

Chris

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 24, 2002 - 09:21 PM

Originally posted by lewichris:
dont even waste your time with stuff from radio crap
if nothing else go to sears and but a 20 dollar craftsman. that will be better. radio shack stuff is so unreliable.

I've had a digital autoranging multimeter from Radio Shack that I bought about 8 years ago, I use it all the time, and it's still going strong. I just wish it had an amp meter on it.

But any brand multimeter should work. Radio Shack was just one example of a place to get one.

• BrandonW

Posted July 24, 2002 - 09:35 PM

Thanks fellas.

I think I will get my hands on a multi-meter, maybe one that will show amps.

The way the bike died, I am really thinking that something failed as opposed to something coming disconnected, but I will not rule anything out.

Still hobbling, but I am getting ready to start looking at what is up with the ride.

Again, thanks for the help.

Brandon

• lewichris

Posted July 24, 2002 - 01:09 PM

but there is a special way to hook up your meter to read amps or you will blow up the fuse inside. you have to use the meter to complete the circuit. Just to warn you. Alot of bench technicians still screw up on this.

• lewichris

Posted July 25, 2002 - 08:08 AM

any luck with the problem yet??

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.