Today is the day......WR450F

11 replies to this topic
  • Zadok

Posted January 29, 2009 - 11:53 AM

Well, today Ive decided to go commit to an 09 WR450F.
I will turn my WR250R back into street legal for some true
DS riding. I will have the 450F for my true off road trails
riding. Im a bit scared of the 450 power, but after reading
so many responses here, I have decided that the 450 is
the way to go. I think my 6'3" 205lb size is almost reason
enough. I will just take my time, ride the bike "detuned"
for now. The in a year, or so, I can mod it and have
a complete different bike.

Man this is gonna be cool......Gotta love new bikes.....:banana:

• spidennis

Posted January 29, 2009 - 11:58 AM

congrats and enjoy! I'm thinking about getting a 450 as well, to go along with my 250. I need a bike for the baja 1000 and while red seems to be everywhere out in baja I still like blue .....

• erickdj

Posted January 29, 2009 - 12:34 PM

Man this is gonna be cool......Gotta love new bikes.....:lol:

Congrats! You'll love that bike.:banana: Don't be afraid of the power, you're a grown man, and a pretty good sized one @ 6'3". I'm only about 5'5" and I'm not one bit scared of my fully uncorked wr450f. Hell, not even my yz450f scares me. I'll go as far as predicting that you won't last a year with that bike all corked up, maybe a few weeks, if that.

Here's my suggestion, for a minimal cost and a pretty good performance boost do the following after a few rides:

Disconnect the grey wire behind the left number plate. (free)
Replace the stock throttle stop screw with a yz450 throttle stop screw (a few $)
Remove the airbox snorkel tube. (free)
Remove the muffler baffle, the entire unit, only leaving the spark arrestor in place. (free)
Re-jet for your riding area altitude/temperature. Get a few assorted jets (pilot/main) and an adjustable needle (I had good luck with and NFPP needle). (Should be between $30-$40 bucks for the jets/needle)
Replace stock leak jet with a #45 leak jet. ($5 or so)
Install a couple of small o-rings on the AP arm. (free if you have some spare o-rings)

The mods above will probably run you less than $50 and will REALLY wake the bike up. Have fun!

• kskyles

Posted January 29, 2009 - 02:37 PM

i've got to agree with erickdj on this one. you'll want to uncork that thing after a ride or two.

i got mine after riding a KLX300 for a couple of years, and it wasn't hard to get used to the power.

uncork that thing, and you'll have a blast.

as a minimum, you have to swap that throttle stop.

• erickdj

Posted January 29, 2009 - 02:46 PM

i've got to agree with erickdj on this one. you'll want to uncork that thing after a ride or two.

yeah, the power is very easy to get used to.

as a minimum, you have to swap that throttle stop.

I'd suggest a re-jet if the throttle stop is swapped, he might be running it WAY too lean with a shorter throttle stop and stock jetting. I mean, they are super lean as it is with the stock throttle stop.

• Zadok

Posted January 29, 2009 - 03:31 PM

Bought the GYTR AIS removal kit. Comes with the Throttle
Stop, Jets etc etc. So that much will be done right away.
Otherwise stock for now.:banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted January 29, 2009 - 03:49 PM

Bought the GYTR AIS removal kit. Comes with the Throttle
Stop, Jets etc etc. So that much will be done right away.
Otherwise stock for now.:banana:

Really cool. Check the size of the jets that comes with the AIS kit and make sure they work for your location. If it still comes with very large jets then they will make the bike run too rich. Otherwise you're on the right path!.:lol:

• Dube2

Posted January 30, 2009 - 11:13 AM

uncork it now...... do the GYTR AIS mod, set it and forget it.

• scfam

Posted February 02, 2009 - 04:24 PM

Man this is gonna be cool......Gotta love new bikes.....:)

Oh sure...and you've been raving about the 250R!!!! Kidding...enjoy. I am still thinking about doing a baja kit on a 450 as my "commute" is 16 miles of highway that goes around a hill, so is pavement-optional. My dealer thinks I'm crazy to consider the 250R and has bee twisting my arm to baja the 450. I just don't know if the maintenance schedule is worth it though....

• ECKS-Man

Posted February 02, 2009 - 04:48 PM

Congrats Zadok! You'll love the new machine!

Have to say, after the ride I went on last weekend I kinda wish I had a 450 - but only kinda! Most of my riding is nothing like this one: http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=429210

Mind you, I was keeping the boys honest with their 600's, 650's 400's and 530's!! Had a few comments about it, which made me feel good!

Hope your new steed is all you hope and more!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 02, 2009 - 05:40 PM

Congrats! You'll love that bike.:) Don't be afraid of the power, you're a grown man, and a pretty good sized one @ 6'3". I'm only about 5'5" and I'm not one bit scared of my fully uncorked wr450f. Hell, not even my yz450f scares me. I'll go as far as predicting that you won't last a year with that bike all corked up, maybe a few weeks, if that.

Congrats on the bike. You will really like it.

Erickkdj is right... don't be afraid of the power. Confidence is the greatest asset you will have out on the trails. But, be very, very respectful of the power. You may bust your ass a time or two, but don't give up.

I weigh 205 and I've had to have the suspension resprung and revalved to make it more comfortable. Don't spend a lot of money on anything else before you address the suspension. However, I hear the the SSS forks on the 07-09wr's are light years better than the forks on the 05 that I have. It may cost you a lot less.

Have fun...

• SXP

Posted February 02, 2009 - 06:51 PM

I hear the the SSS forks on the 07-09wr's are light years better than

On the YZs, not the WRs. We have the same forks you do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.