The distance between front tire and forks is different

6 replies to this topic
  • ioan_vapi

Posted January 29, 2009 - 02:58 AM

Hi,

I have a WR 426F (2001) and I just observed that (looking from the front of bike) the distance between the front tire and left fork is smaller than the distance between the tire and right fork. I assume this is caused by a severe crash.
Did someone experience the same? Can this be fixed at home and how?

Thanks for any advice,
Vapi

• stevenacarter77

Posted January 29, 2009 - 03:29 AM

put the bike on a stand so the front tire just touches the floor; loosen the tripple trees just enough to move the forks back where the belong; if it still lookes wrong then its was prob wrecked bad or you went the wrong way moving the forks.

• ioan_vapi

Posted January 29, 2009 - 05:25 AM

I guess I got your point. Looking from the front of the bike the distance between the tire and left side fork is smaller. I assume I have to lift the left side fork or to lower the other one, right?

Thanks for advice,
Vapi

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Strattos

Posted January 29, 2009 - 12:13 PM

You probabably want to get them at the same height in the triple clamps rather than have one higher than the higher to compensate for some other damager/malfunction. Otherwise you could damage things further or they won't operate properly.

Have you recently taken your front wheel off? If you have, did you have any trouble getting the axle back in? Did it go in smoothly. Your front wheel might not be on or seated properly.

• stevenacarter77

Posted January 29, 2009 - 08:55 PM

I guess I got your point. Looking from the front of the bike the distance between the tire and left side fork is smaller. I assume I have to lift the left side fork or to lower the other one, right?

Thanks for advice,
Vapi

yep you are on track.:banana:

• Matt James

Posted January 29, 2009 - 09:14 PM

Are you saying that if you measure from the center of the tire to the center of the left and right fork tubes they are not the same? The forks must remain parallel to each other. The fork tubes must have the same center to center distance at the axle as they do at the triple clamps. If your axle binds up on the fork during assembly you can have it pushed in to far and make your forks bind up when they are close to bottoming out. Of course you will not notice the binding because of the spring energy when bottomed out. I measure my fork tube centers at the triple clamp and then at the axle before I clamp everything down. If they are not right you will have premature wear.

• ioan_vapi

Posted January 30, 2009 - 02:58 AM

I wish I could attach a picture.

Actually, I see the space between the tire tube and fork tube is smaller in the left side. I assume the front tire is a little prone to the left but not the entire wheel is moved to the left.
I'm new with dirtbikes and I never removed the front wheel. I remember I had a 'serious' crash few weeks ago when I fell down in a 'steep'. At that time I hit the front wheel and I broke the front fender. It's possible the forks moved somehow in the triple trees.
I hope the forks are still parallel. I'll check the distance between them is constant along them. I don't think they are bended.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.