YZ400 Head questions

6 replies to this topic
  • fastcr500

Posted January 28, 2009 - 05:22 PM

On the YZ400f head on the left side, there is a hole. Is this supposed to be plugged with a soft plug or something? Is it an overflow hole? When I start my 400 I let it run and after running for a bit, coolant starts to come out after I shut it off. Not much but alittle. I just replaced the cylinder and am curious if this is normal due to to much coolant or if it is something I should take a look at. Thanks.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2009 - 07:35 PM

That is the drain for the spark plug well, which allows water, oil from a leaking cam cover, combustion gas from a loose plug, or whatever, to drain away, and also prevents a build up of air/gas pressure from popping the plug boot off.

Coolant should never come from this hole unless the head is cracked from the water jacket into the hole. How certain are you that it's coolant you see?

• fastcr500

Posted January 28, 2009 - 08:06 PM

Positive. Its greenish fluid. My head is cracked in the water jacket, but I tried to fix it with JB weld. Apparently it is cracked inside the water jacket where I cant see. Looks like I need a new head.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1rkcooper

Posted January 28, 2009 - 08:33 PM

Check ebay, I think there is one on there.

• fastcr500

Posted January 28, 2009 - 10:07 PM

Think that radiator stop leak would work for hairline cracks? Anyone have any info or would that gunk up something? Im looking for a cheaper fix due to the fact that Im a poor college kid.

• grounded63

Posted January 28, 2009 - 10:11 PM

That hole is also for blowing debris out from around your plug before removal.

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 28, 2009 - 10:14 PM

Think that radiator stop leak would work for hairline cracks? Anyone have any info or would that gunk up something? Im looking for a cheaper fix due to the fact that Im a poor college kid.

I doubt that it will help. Water jackets on the bike are smaller than the ones on a car, and I cant help but think that that stuff will gunk everything up and cause more problems.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.