Need options for Oil tank on YZ426.

7 replies to this topic
  • shawnbassett26

Posted January 27, 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hello.

I have a YSR with a YZ426 in it. Its not running yet. I have a question about the oil tank. I need something more compact. I dont have an OEM oil tank. The motor pressurized the oil to pump through the oil tank right? I was thinking about running a big oil cooler instead. The vent on the OEM oil tank, is that needed? Graves Motorsports makes Oil/air separators for motard bikes. Does any one thinks this will work? Here is a link.

http://www.gravespor...ey=ABY_07YW-OAS

Any tech help would be great.
Thanks!
~Shawn

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2009 - 02:59 PM

You need a tank, not a cooler, and the tank needs a pressure balance line running from the tank to the top of the engine, near the engine's breather hose. Oil is pumped from the tank to the oil system, then drains back to the crankcase, to be picked up and sent back to the tank. Because the return pump moves oil faster than the feed side, and because the scavenging of oil from the sump can be interrupted by sloshing and a number of other things, it tends to be erratic and inconsistent. A pressure balance between the tank and crankcase is absolutely necessary to ensure good flow down to the feed pump.

• 642MX

Posted January 27, 2009 - 06:20 PM

I'd use a wet sump on a YSR. Just change the oil frequently and you'll be in good shape. Here ya go: http://www.dubachrac...6rfmljguak4fj60

Feel free to post a pic of it. :banana:

• shawnbassett26

Posted January 28, 2009 - 06:31 AM

Hey thats a good idea! Didnt even know they exisited. Are they safe? Any one every use them?
~Shawn

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2009 - 07:00 AM

With the wet sump kit, the oil capacity is cut to about half that of a normal 426, and you're still sharing oil with the trans. This means that very frequent oil changes are mandatory. With a dirt bike, that would mean every ride day at the least, and for an A or B level MX'er, maybe once during each day.

• shawnbassett26

Posted January 28, 2009 - 07:19 AM

This will be for street riding only. Has anyone ever seen an aftermarket oil thank for a 426 or similar bike?
~SHawn

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2009 - 09:03 AM

If you stay with the dry sump system, which I recommend, you can easily fabricate a small oil tank, or modify one from a quad to make it fit the available space. It should have a minimum capacity of about one quart, with room for about 1/2" air space above the max oil level. It will need an outlet fitting at the bottom for the feed oil, an entry fitting at the top for the return oil (which can either get to the top by going outside the tank or up through the bottom of it), and the aforementioned pressure balance to the engine. With a 426, you'll need a means of filling the tank directly, and some way of checking the oil level is a good idea (an external sight tube is simple, or you can just look in through the filler cap).

• 642MX

Posted January 28, 2009 - 02:35 PM

Hey thats a good idea! Didnt even know they exisited. Are they safe? Any one every use them?
~Shawn

It takes the oil level down to about 1 quart, so it is important to change it often. I knew a guy who ran one and had no problems.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.