A Couple Quick Questions

6 replies to this topic
  • RENNER

Posted January 26, 2009 - 11:34 PM

BIKE- 06 450. PUT ON FMF Q. THE BIKE HAS BEEN TAMED.:banana: ANYWAYS, WAS EXPECTED.. WHAT PILOT AND MAIN SHOULD I RUN WITH JUST THE SLIP ON? I LEFT THE JETTING STOCK, BECAUSE THE SLIP ON SEEMS MORE RESTRICTIVE THEN THE STOCK PIPE BECAUSE ITS SPARK ARRESTED AND QUIETER.. ANYWAYS, ALSO IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ANY CHANGES TO JETTING IF I ADDED A MEGA BOMB HEAD PIPE. IS IT WORTH GETTIN THE HEAD PIPE

• 642MX

Posted January 27, 2009 - 06:25 PM

First... TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF!

Second.... Where is the fuel screw set at?... Is it adjusted correctly? Does it fall flat on the top end? or does it pop and crackle?

And third... The Powerbombs and Mega's tame the power even more (smooths out the hit), they also help drop the noise by about 1 dB. If your disappointed in the corked up power its making with the Q muffler, then you might want to keep the stock header.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:32 PM

BIKE- 06 450. PUT ON FMF Q. THE BIKE HAS BEEN TAMED.:banana: ANYWAYS, WAS EXPECTED.. WHAT PILOT AND MAIN SHOULD I RUN WITH JUST THE SLIP ON? I LEFT THE JETTING STOCK, BECAUSE THE SLIP ON SEEMS MORE RESTRICTIVE THEN THE STOCK PIPE BECAUSE ITS SPARK ARRESTED AND QUIETER.. ANYWAYS, ALSO IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ANY CHANGES TO JETTING IF I ADDED A MEGA BOMB HEAD PIPE. IS IT WORTH GETTIN THE HEAD PIPE

First things first. What elevation are you at?
What kind of gas are you running?
Is the bike stock? (Jetting)
How many hours on it?
Where d you live?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RENNER

Posted January 27, 2009 - 08:08 PM

First... TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF!

thats funny. seriously tho...:banana: it runs lean at higher elevations, pops on decel. it still runs a tad lean even at sea level. i live in california, bout 40 minutes from the bay area. i have increased the main and pilot when i first got the bike a couple years ago. i've been extremely busy with job, house and stuff so i have not been ridin as much as i want. anyways, just wanted to dial it in from home so when i go to stony again next week it wont be as lean. i'm thinkin prob need to adjust the fuel screw on the bottom (its in a tight spot) maybe go up one more on the pilot. what pilot is everyone runnin with just a slip on? thats all, no other mods. bike has prob 45-60 hours.

• 642MX

Posted January 27, 2009 - 08:22 PM

thats funny. seriously tho...:banana: it runs lean at higher elevations, pops on decel. it still runs a tad lean even at sea level. i live in california, bout 40 minutes from the bay area. i have increased the main and pilot when i first got the bike a couple years ago. i've been extremely busy with job, house and stuff so i have not been ridin as much as i want. anyways, just wanted to dial it in from home so when i go to stony again next week it wont be as lean. i'm thinkin prob need to adjust the fuel screw on the bottom (its in a tight spot) maybe go up one more on the pilot. what pilot is everyone runnin with just a slip on? thats all, no other mods. bike has prob 45-60 hours.

You need to figure out the fuel screw adjustment, it will tell you if the pilot is correct or if you need to change it and which jet you need. Adjust the fuel screw and then report back on how many turns out it is. Remember that a properly tuned YZF will pop slightly on deceleration.

I ran a Q2 on my wifes bike. If I remember correctly, I leaned the needle one clip and adjusted the fuel screw.... and that was it.

• RENNER

Posted January 27, 2009 - 08:30 PM

anyone run the quick adj fuel screw? i've seen some that will bend all the way to the idle adjustment. i was intrigued... the fuel screw should be whatever stock is unless changed by vibration. i need a really small flat head, this carb is a pain in the ass to work on. my hot start plundger was stuck right off show room floor.... they leave the freakin bikes outside in the rain

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2009 - 09:37 PM

A good many people run extended pilot screws. But while the '06 is not as sensitive to it as the earlier 426's were, the pilot screw adjustment is only optimal until the weather changes.

Look in Common Threads, you find how to confirm the pilot setting, and a link to the user jetting database, listing the jetting that other people use.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.