WR Vs YZ PLz help simple questions

22 replies to this topic
  • maniac0586

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:23 PM

OK i know this has gone over many times but i really would like some help on this. I am currently the Owner of an 06 Yz450 that the dealer is going to buy back from me, because they sold it to me recently with a cracked case that i later found was JB welded. Now that im getting my money back, i have to decide if i want a WR, or a YZ again. I have a few questions that i hope you guys will be able to answer.

First of all, I only ride trails and single track. I really want to know how the Wr Power is compaired to the Yz? After doing the Free mods, will the power be very simular? or would i notice a pretty big difference?

Is the weight on the Wr situated much like the YZ? I really liked how light the front end felt on the YZ. Or does it feel front end heavy?

Weight? can you even tell the extra pounds if your mostly a trail rider?

07wr450 VS 06wr450? is there much of a difference with the aluminum frame and the steel frame? Which bike would be more prefered? and is the motor much different between these years?

Rear Wheel, dumb question? but why are the wheel sizes different from the Wr and the YZ and would it be stupid to put a Yz wheel on the Wr? and will it fit?

I weigh 195lb and would the stock supension be adequate on the Wr or will the need to be changed?

I know many of these questions come down to prefrence but i am just looking for answers and opinions will apreciate all your help!!

• DS-WR450F

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:24 PM

I'll share my recent limited experience. I have been riding a friends 04 YZ450. This got me hooked, and I recently picked up my 04 WR450. Lately I have been switching back and forth.

First the power, (WR has mods) The YZ has a bigger midrange hit, but the WR seems to pull harder down low, and pulls for a lot longer. I'm sure gearing has something to do with this.

The YZ feels lighter, but just a little. The frontend definately comes up easier on the YZ, but I like how predictable the WR is. It will still pull the front up whenever you want, but rarely does when you don't.

I have no experience with the aluminum frame models.

The 18" wheel seems to be the obvious choice for trail riding. The additional rubber alows you to run lower pressure, with out pinch flats, and offers better traction, at the cost of some sidewall stability on hardpack.

I got my WR with Race Tech springs. The previous owner was also 225lbs. The WR's seem much softer than the YZ's, and I would say you will need to re spring, if you ride aggressively.

What I love about this bike, and don't care for on the YZ's is the tranny. I ride a lot of technical single track, mixed with wide open desert, back to rocky steep single track. The WR is better in the rocky technical sections, due to its low first gear, then can outrun the YZ's in the open desert due to its long legged fifth gear. Add in the fact that I got it plated in Nevada, and I couldn't be happier.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:49 PM

I have an 05 ( same as 06) WR450.

I weight about 200 without gear and I needed to be resprung. (.48 front, 5.8 rear). I like it kinda stiff for the big hits and it inspires me to go a little faster because the bike sits up higher. But, get it revalved to help soften it in the rocky singe track.

I have no experience with the aluminum frame wr's. But I hear its a lot better.

Most importantly, please name that dealer. It seems rather shady what you had to go through.

• psmith85

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:21 AM

I have an 08 YZF450 and a 06 WR450. The WR power is very good- you will not be wanting for more power. The weight is different, but the WR still has pleanty of power to lift the front wheel over obstacles. Forget about the 18 vs 19 tire- not an issue. I think these are some questions to ask yourself.
Do I want electric start? Do I want a kickstand(can be added to the YZ)? Do I want to odometer? The forks on the WR and much better for the trails. I suspect that you could back the compression all the way out of the YZ and if that does not make you happy, revalve. One last think. The 07 aluminum frame bike is easier to work on, esp, carb stuff, which is where you will spend most of your initial set up time. There are some frame braces on the 07 that can be removed to give you more room to work. Good luck.

• SXP

Posted January 27, 2009 - 08:02 AM

One last think. The 07 aluminum frame bike is easier to work on, esp, carb stuff,

You've got that mixed up - the pre 07s (steel framed) have easier carb access, not the other way around.

• maniac0586

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:52 PM

the dealer was "Redding Yamaha Seadoo". they claim that they didnt know it was JB welded but i find that hard to believe.

• William1

Posted January 27, 2009 - 06:13 PM

If when riding single track or treachorous trails, is kick starting going to be an issue? Do you ever plan to ride at night or dual sport it? If the answer is no, then get the YZ. I happen to own a WR BTW. Now, be in Kali, the Green sticker issue is something you need to consider too.

• cmd

Posted January 27, 2009 - 08:01 PM

i've owned them all.the stl frm,alum fr,wr and yz...yeah i know alot of bikes:bonk: needless to say i'm back on a yzf.
wr-loved the tranny,really liked the way the motor lugged dwn low and pulled for ever(very xr-ish),and the button was worth it's weight in gold:banana:i didn't like how much heavier it felt versus the yzf and the susp was a little soft the more you pushed it.bottom line is its a great trail bike
yzf-great all around snap and with a fww best power delivery out there .gearbox is fine for tight/east cst terrain,feels alot lighter than a wr,alot easier to ride in tighter and technical terrain,usually fires first kick,can play with the clickers to get susp close enough for trail riding. bottom line is its a great HS bike ,that you can trail ride OR race

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 27, 2009 - 08:13 PM

Buy a WR, and start riding it. I believe you are too hung up on specifics of bikes, and you need to get some real saddle time, so you can make your own decisions. A WR is a wide ratio, de-tuned (motor and suspension) that can be made close to a YZ in many ways. If you need to 'cut and thrust' on a closed course, or crave that kind of riding, the YZ is better. If you do not, the YZ will be worse.

• snaggletooth

Posted January 28, 2009 - 03:02 AM

Like william1 mentioned, if you live in Ca. The green sticker might be the biggest issue between the bikes!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • psmith85

Posted January 28, 2009 - 07:12 AM

Can you ride a Red Sticker bike in the summer in your area. Here is Sacramento there are few places in the foothills that do not allow Red Sticker bikes in the summer months.

• maniac0586

Posted January 28, 2009 - 09:12 AM

What ive kind of decided after much more research is that im looking for a Wr450 07+ with a plate. Or a Klx450 with a plate i have found a couple and i know it might be hard to get registerd in Ca if its from out of state. Has any one had much luck bringing a bike thats nevada or arizona legal in to Ca and had good luck?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 28, 2009 - 09:37 AM

im looking for a Wr450 07+ with a plate or a Klx450 with a plate?

Good luck…its no longer possible to plate a dirt bike in CA :banana:

Has any one had much luck bringing a bike thats nevada or arizona legal in to Ca and had good luck?

Technically by law you still can not do this as the bike is an off road bike…it would need to meet US emission standards (which it doesn’t) for it to pass the 7500 rule. :lol:

• maniac0586

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:54 PM

yea i have heard it isn't posssible, but i know several people that have done it slipping through the cracks. i know of an 06 wr450 thats street legal and for sale also but i dont know i really want an 07+ i might be mad at myself later for not getting it but i dont know.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 28, 2009 - 01:16 PM

yea i have heard it isn't posssible, but i know several people that have done it slipping through the cracks. i know of an 06 wr450 thats street legal and for sale also but i dont know i really want an 07+ i might be mad at myself later for not getting it but i dont know.

just because its got a plate doesnt mean you will get to keep if once you transfer the bike to your name...reason being its not legal in CA any more...if you want a street legal bike you shouldnt be look at new WR's

• Zadok

Posted January 28, 2009 - 05:48 PM

Want a plate? WR250R.....Not too bad once you mod the piss
out of it.

• maniac0586

Posted January 28, 2009 - 06:49 PM

well i want an 07 wr street legal what else am i going to buy lol? without killing the wallet for a ktm and i like the wr's better. after doing a little research DMV law says:

Exceptions

As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

* Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
* Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
* Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
* Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

I think i could get away with the "inoperative beyond reasonable repair" because of my Yz that i still have with the crack in the case i got from the dealer. i don't know just a thought not saying my chances are great, but wouldnt it be nice to be able to ride down the road to the trails?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 28, 2009 - 08:08 PM

well i want an 07 wr street legal what else am i going to buy lol? without killing the wallet for a ktm and i like the wr's better. after doing a little research DMV law says:

Exceptions

As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

* Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
* Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
* Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

I think i could get away with the "inoperative beyond reasonable repair" because of my Yz that i still have with the crack in the case i got from the dealer. i don't know just a thought not saying my chances are great, but wouldnt it be nice to be able to ride down the road to the trails?

those exceptions are for VEHICLES...not a dirt bike with and "off road" title...

Hate to say it but you CAN NOT plate a dirt bike in CA

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 28, 2009 - 08:41 PM

Exceptions

Does not apply to "MC". You can Special Construction a non-plated motorcycle, but there are several hoops to jump through, and you run the risk of the VIN being 'flagged' (non-registerable). The issue is EPA Federal and State compliance. If it don't got it, you can't plate it.

• psmith85

Posted January 29, 2009 - 06:36 AM

You would have a much better chance of re-registering a Ca. plated bike than an out of state bike. I found that Nev and Az alllow less of equipment than Ca. Good Luck. BTW- good decision to go with the 07+. If I could afford it, I would upgrade from my 06 to the 07.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.