YZ 400F front fork questions

4 replies to this topic
  • Ohirider

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:24 PM

My buddy rides a 99 YZ400F and needs to replace the bottom clamp and stem. Who might know which parts are interchangable from year to year or maybe from model to model?
Any help will be appreciated.:banana:

• DeeCee

Posted January 27, 2009 - 12:51 AM

Go to the Thumpertalk OEM site. Get the part number for the steering stem. Go back to the OEM home page and enter the part number - you may get your answer this way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:20 AM

That strategy won't work. The Yamaha catalog doesn't list the stem as separate from the clamp, and something as simple as altered number plate holes, or as important as reconfigured steering stops, will change the part number.

Check the listing for the head bearings. I'm pretty sure the stems are the same, and that the clamps will go on and hold the forks, but there may be little detail differences enough to be annoying.

• JJRace

Posted January 27, 2009 - 12:16 PM

each year until 06 (bolt in bar mounts) they moved the top bar mounts foward on the clamps.

03 was the first year of the vertical bolt for the number plate (if I remember right).

But if you get a top and bottom set you are fine. 00-05 will work fine. YOu may need a newer number plate if you get the newer year clamps. All the same offset. 06 has a wider axle and wider clamps.

• Ohirider

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for the response guys. Between this thread and the "WANTED" ad I placed I think it might be covered. I forwarded all of the info and available parts to my buddy.
Thanks Again

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.