Stupid Mistake...now What?

9 replies to this topic
  • USED YZ426F

Posted January 26, 2009 - 05:10 PM

I just bought a new Dunlop D952 for my YZ426. However I got the wrong size (bought a 100/90-19 and the stock tire is a 110/90-19:bonk:). Unfortunately, I bought it from a bike shop that just closed its doors (got it on the last day), so returning it for the correct size isn't an option.

I know the tire will physically fit the wheel. But how much traction am I going sacrifice going with the smaller tire? Will it be enough to really notice?

Or should I just go and get the correct size tire from another store?

• cmd

Posted January 26, 2009 - 05:45 PM

i just put on a "free" new 100 on my 450:bonk: ,and actually it's not bad.the only reason i put it on is because it was free,but really i can't complain.surprisingly i thought i'd be able to tell a difference on some long,steep hill climbs,but so far so good.the only real thing i have noticed is that i've ripped quite a few knobs off within in the first few rides...thats a big thumper for ya:smirk: i say run it till the knobs are gone:thumbsup: nothing like fresh meat,even if it is smaller:banana:

• Ogener

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:52 PM

I put a 100 on my 05 and I noticed a difference but it is rideable for sure. I plan on running mine till its wore out or I decide i dont like it.

• Brokenparts123

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:56 PM

The smaller tire should weigh noticiably less, and you should be able to feel it when your turning, it should be sharper.

But yes, you will lose a little traction, and less rotating mass which might scare you in the air if your controlling your bikes pitch.

• hillclimbguy

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:08 PM

Just ride it, ware it out and look carefully next time you purchase a tire.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jrny426

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:15 AM

Been there...Like they say just use it,maybe adjust pressure to account for less ground contact

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 27, 2009 - 12:26 PM

I just bought a new Dunlop D952 for my YZ426. However I got the wrong size (bought a 100/90-19 and the stock tire is a 110/90-19:bonk:). Unfortunately, I bought it from a bike shop that just closed its doors (got it on the last day), so returning it for the correct size isn't an option.

I know the tire will physically fit the wheel. But how much traction am I going sacrifice going with the smaller tire? Will it be enough to really notice?

Or should I just go and get the correct size tire from another store?

not much. put in on tear it up. you may find it will work better!

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 27, 2009 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for all the input. Gonna put it on and see how long it lasts. My last tire lasted for almost two years.

• Wiz636

Posted January 27, 2009 - 03:10 PM

You could probably get another shop to let you exchange it for a diffrerent size.

• caslo

Posted January 27, 2009 - 03:39 PM

see if this thought process works for you -

your new tire should have a slightly smaller, overall diameter - but not necessarily.

Your first step would to be adjust your ride height by pre-loading or unloading your rear shock. There is a youtube video:

because your rear tire diameter is slightly smaller - you should have more grunt down low but suffer a bit of top speed in gears.

You may also have more problems slogging through mush as your rear wheel will be more prone to spin. On harder surfaces you will be prone to tearing blocks.

adjustment of tire pressure should solve both of these issues

slightly less if there is lots of mush, slightly more on harder surfaces

caslo

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.