Setting proper drive chain tension.

22 replies to this topic
  • ch_250

Posted April 21, 2009 - 02:00 PM

Whatever, the point is that the chain better not be too tight. when all the shafts line up the chain will be the tightest. make sure it's not too tight at that point or your wheels will get all screwed up. like i said, when i did it, it worked out to the same as what the manual says.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2009 - 02:44 PM

when all the shafts line up the chain will be the tightest. make sure it's not too tight at that point or your wheels will get all screwed up. like i said, when i did it, it worked out to the same as what the manual says.

Exactly. That, in fact is why the manual says what it says. The factory does exactly what you did, then records the slack that results from that adjustment when the bike is on the stand. Throwing the bike on the stand is something that everyone can understand and do, and has the same result every time it's done (repeatable).

• gearhead86

Posted May 03, 2009 - 06:48 AM

use a strap going from the swingarm over the seat and down to the swingarm again and crank it down until the output shaft, swingarm pivot and axle bolt all line up. then leave about a 1/2 inch slack. then take the strap off and measure the slack in several places with the bike just standing there. then make a block or remember the measurement and always adjust it to that.

If you leave enough slack for when the shafts all lign up, you will be safe. that's what i did, has worked good so far.

I think this is the best method, especially if you are running non-standard sprocket sizes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.