First Ride YZ450

9 replies to this topic
  • Guyver

Posted January 25, 2009 - 08:49 PM

I just took my new bike for it's first ride today. It's an 07 YZ 450. I couldn't believe how clean it was. I actually scuffed it up more today in six hours of riding than it's been in two years. I would be shocked if it had even 12 hours of riding on it before I got it.

Posted Image

And it has this really cool kick stand that tucks up and out of the way.

Posted Image

I've ridden an MX track once in my life - literally. Why would I buy a YZ 450?

I wanted a killer dirt bike and now I have one! I couldn't be any happier. The moment I sat on the bike, and then picked it up, I could sense the quality and the "lightness" of it. It's without a doubt the best dirt bike I've ever ridden. I love it. I took it out to a place called Taft today. Alot of hill climbs and just challenging terrain. The bike performed flawlessly. It took me about an hour to get used to the power and the "nimbleness" of the bike. After that I was riding pretty aggressively and loving it. Even though I don't motocross - I'm happy to have this sweet machine. Sorry, no pics of the riding area - I was too busy having an incredible day! Glad to be part of this club.

• GENE426

Posted January 25, 2009 - 08:53 PM

I dont think it even has 4-6 hours on it.
Way too clean.
Thats how I got 2 of my 450'sthe people were to scared of it to ride them.
Be careful of that kick stand
If ya jump and come down hard they tend to go down which can mess you up.

Very nice and clean bike

• Guyver

Posted January 25, 2009 - 09:05 PM

Thanks. I could see how people would be scared of them. I do mostly off road type all terrain riding and single track stuff. My last two bikes (which I actually still have) both have steering dampners. This bike felt really "jumpy" to me at first and it just had so much power. I don't know what mods if any have been done, but it's got an fmf pipe.

I've ridden alot of dirt bikes in my years, and most recently an 07 KTM 525 EXc with mods done. I don't know which bike is faster, but I definitely like the way the YZ feels. After a long day of hard riding, I don't feel half as beat up as I do on my WR426.

• Guyver

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:07 AM

One limitation I was going to mention was in the tight stuff. Going through these really tight canyons was difficult. It seems like the bike is just not geared for it. Also, this bike doesn't like to poke along. The faster you go the better the bike performs.

• cmd

Posted January 26, 2009 - 03:30 PM

that there is a super clean bike clark!!the more you ride it,the more your gonna love it:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2009 - 03:42 PM

One limitation I was going to mention was in the tight stuff. Going through these really tight canyons was difficult. It seems like the bike is just not geared for it. Also, this bike doesn't like to poke along. The faster you go the better the bike performs.

If you are going to be doing a lot of that, you'll be happier with it if you buy the GYT-R "Off-Road" flywheel (GYT-2S297-50-50). It makes the engine noticeably happier at low RPM, but inflicts no noticeable performance penalty on it whatsoever.

• Se77vN

Posted January 27, 2009 - 12:27 AM

If you are going to be doing a lot of that, you'll be happier with it if you buy the GYT-R "Off-Road" flywheel (GYT-2S297-50-50). It makes the engine noticeably happier at low RPM, but inflicts no noticeable performance penalty on it whatsoever.

Gray,

I was wondering if such a product existed. But when I was looking online I noticed there were 3 different sizes (weights) one could get for my bike. 2008 yz450f

Any ideas which one to get? I mostly ride sandy/rocky desert and moutainy trail riding here in NM. And could really use some of the added beni's I have been reading about when using this GYT-2S297-50-50

Thanks,

~JR

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:15 AM

There are only two that I know of; the GYT-2S297-50-50, and the lighter GYT-2S297-50-00. Use the GYT-2S297-50-50.

• motoag93

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:52 AM

might want to consider putting a decent oring chain on that beast, looks like that could still be the stock chain and sprocket? I didn't listen to the advice when I got mine brand new and was adjusting it almost every ride. After I put the new chain on and sprockets I've only adjusted occasionally.

• Se77vN

Posted January 27, 2009 - 03:30 PM

There are only two that I know of; the GYT-2S297-50-50, and the lighter GYT-2S297-50-00. Use the GYT-2S297-50-50.

Thanks Gray!! :banana:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.