YZ450 Woods Gearing?

24 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2009 - 10:58 AM

I can take (the flywheel weight) off if I'm going to track the bike.

No reason to. It will not have any particularly noticeable effect on the amount of power delivered, or the responsiveness of the engine at all, except to make it smoother at lower speeds. In fact, it can actually add a little power at very low RPM by overcoming velocity losses from spinning through compression.

I run mine all the time, and I know several others who do as well. Try it with it on before you decide to switch it on and off all the time.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 13, 2009 - 11:05 AM

What weight flywheel do you have on your bike gray? I was looking at the GYTR 9.21 oz flywheel, not the bolt on weight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2009 - 11:28 AM

What weight flywheel do you have on your bike gray? I was looking at the GYTR 9.21 oz flywheel, not the bolt on weight.

That's the one.:lol:

• Guyver

Posted February 15, 2009 - 07:21 PM

I just got back from riding my 07 YZ450 after putting a 52 on the rear. It did help in the tight stuff, I had no stalls today. I still had to work the clutch quite a bit.

I did notice a pretty significant drop off the high end speed. This was the first time I've been able to have the bike in 5th gear wide open (4 rides on this bike). Now I would say that the top end speed is pretty comparable to my WR426 and my brothers WR400.

The overall performance seemed pretty close to the same when riding it aggressively in relatively flat terrain. Noticably more torque for hill climbing. Overall, I'd say I'm happy with it. It's not perfect as a woods bike, but it's so damn fun to ride wide open that I just love it. I would say that for me (an old guy) the stock front and 52 rear seems pretty close to the perfect all around/all terrain set up.

• SparksXR426

Posted February 16, 2009 - 06:46 PM

Went for my first ride yesterday with a 53 on the back of mine. First gear is manageable, top speed REALLY fell off, overall I can live with it. The only time top speed counts is on logging roads and I DO NOT race on those, 55 MPH is plenty fast enough for me. I will add the GYTR FWW soon to help low end manners but loving it otherwise. Will have to see how this gearing is on the track, could always go to stock if need be.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.