Turn your gas on dummy!

10 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 25, 2009 - 07:13 PM

Well, I have to admit, I almost busted big time today. I came out of a turn and rolled on the throttle to clear a 60 foot double and right when I cracked the throttle the bike bogged. I cased the jump, and about busted. I don't know how I rode it out but it compresed my feet and wrists. I get to the bottom of the jump and realized I had the gas off. I was very lucky. God was looking out for me.:banana: Lets hear some stories of this happening. PEACE:thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted January 25, 2009 - 07:18 PM

I would tell a story if I had one..... but I'm one of the guys who check their petcock about 5200 times before I put the bike in gear. :banana:

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 25, 2009 - 07:32 PM

haha, I was looking at the scariest hill climb that I had ever seen, thinking no way. My friends were giving me grief, like I was a wimp, then I fired up and slammed through the gears towards the hill. 3/4 of the way up (which was farther than I thought I could go in the first place) my bike bogs because I forgot to turn the gas on, and I am left helpless on the hill. With some coaxing, I made it down in one piece, but what a day. Now I check my petcock every time I pull the kick starter out.

• davcon

Posted January 26, 2009 - 06:57 AM

I have this small double in my back yard. Small enough to get complacent large enough to really hurt myself! I've run out of gas once and hit neutral on the takeoff.

Posted Image

• yzfjbw323

Posted January 26, 2009 - 02:12 PM

I have ran out of gas on the track..Once just before a decent sized rythm section, 100' and it would have been ugly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • intensem1rider

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:22 PM

In a race I crashed and could not get my bike started since I flooded it, so I turned off the gas, and tipped the bike over to let it drain, then kicked it and hurridly took off, 1 lap later in the EXACT same spot the bike bogs and dies, uggh I forgot to turn the gas back on, so I turn it on and kick, kick, kick, till it's flooded, dam, turn the gas off, tip the bike over to drain the carb then kick and bam im off again...1 lap later, yet again, same dam spot, the bike dies, I look down and see I forgot to turn the gas on again. At this point I pulled off to the side, sat there a moment to reflect on my stupidity and watch 1st place cruz by...which by the way, is the place I was in before my massive brain fart. Lets just say, I check my gas a hundred times before taking off from a stop from now on.... ohhh the stupidity.

• MotoXT

Posted January 27, 2009 - 09:03 AM

In a race I crashed and could not get my bike started since I flooded it, so I turned off the gas, and tipped the bike over to let it drain, then kicked it and hurridly took off, 1 lap later in the EXACT same spot the bike bogs and dies, uggh I forgot to turn the gas back on, so I turn it on and kick, kick, kick, till it's flooded, dam, turn the gas off, tip the bike over to drain the carb then kick and bam im off again...1 lap later, yet again, same dam spot, the bike dies, I look down and see I forgot to turn the gas on again. At this point I pulled off to the side, sat there a moment to reflect on my stupidity and watch 1st place cruz by...which by the way, is the place I was in before my massive brain fart. Lets just say, I check my gas a hundred times before taking off from a stop from now on.... ohhh the stupidity.

:banana: :lol: :lol: :lol: Unfortunately, I can see myself doing the same thing.

• spdnjoe

Posted January 27, 2009 - 09:13 AM

Why does everyone always turn their gas off. I turn it off after the days over and that's about it. I leave it on from when I arrive to when I leave and have never had a problem. I've had CRF's, KTM's and Husqvarnas, all with no problem.

• 642MX

Posted January 27, 2009 - 09:39 AM

Why does everyone always turn their gas off. I turn it off after the days over and that's about it. I leave it on from when I arrive to when I leave and have never had a problem. I've had CRF's, KTM's and Husqvarnas, all with no problem.

One, when your trailering your bike the float will bounce and could overflow the carb and dump gas on your trailer floor or into the engine. And two, its hard on the float valve having pressure on it all the time. The rubber tip will get a ring around it and then leak gas. And three, if you get a piece of trash in the float valve and seat, it won't seal and gas will over flow.

• VRzoo

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:33 AM

My buddy use to forget all the time to turn on hes gas,so a got him i red sticker that goes above the pitcock that says TURN ON THE GAS DUMMY LOL.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 27, 2009 - 12:21 PM

My buddy use to forget all the time to turn on hes gas,so a got him i red sticker that goes above the pitcock that says TURN ON THE GAS DUMMY LOL.

That's funny you say that! I'm doing the same thing.:banana:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.