TT500 oil questions

3 replies to this topic
  • tchristiansen1953

Posted January 25, 2009 - 07:01 PM

I''ve got a 1978 Yamaha TT500 that I've had for a year. My 2 questions regard the oil.
First, my wife has a 2007 TTR125 Yamaha with a Rekluse clutch. We live in the same town they are built, & had the mfg install it. They recommended Shell Rotella T oil for use with the Rekluse. They also said it was a great oil to use in my older TT. SO, any opinions or experience with the Shell oil?
Second. I've contemplated using a synthetic in the TT, but have heard stories about converting an older bike to synthetics. Something about it loosens up varnish or whatever and can clog the oil passages.
I change my oil about every 5-6 rides. I'm an older (55) rider & don't bomb like the young guys. Is my oil change intervals about right.
I've just come back to riding after 30 some years & have forgotten most that I knew
Thanks

• cleonard

Posted January 25, 2009 - 11:18 PM

The Rotella will work fine. I've been using it for years in my XR. Synthetic does have a way of dissolving crud and causing leaks. I's guess that if there is really a lot of crud it could be a problem. I kind of doubt it though.

The bottom line is that just about any oil will be superior to what was available back in the day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • plugeye

Posted January 26, 2009 - 04:31 AM

been using rotella t synthetic in the xt500f for months. stock clutch & works fine.

• meltdwn

Posted January 27, 2009 - 12:15 AM

Why mess around use the recommended Yamalube.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.