WR on the ICE

5 replies to this topic
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted January 25, 2009 - 12:36 PM

Since I usually hang around here, i figured i would link my wr thread
http://www.thumperta...058#post7557058

• JMathis

Posted January 25, 2009 - 02:19 PM

That really looks like fun. I would not be able to get any of my riding buddies to join me so it would not be as fun alone.

• rufusz

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:08 AM

Check this out : last year, ice was like 40 cm. What studs are you using in your tires or they are bolts with nuts? We did it with wood-bolts (or whatever their name is) and grip is better then on concrete :banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted January 26, 2009 - 11:13 AM

Check this out : last year, ice was like 40 cm. What studs are you using in your tires or they are bolts with nuts? We did it with wood-bolts (or whatever their name is) and grip is better then on concrete :banana:

WOW great video!

I see you put screws in from the inside....that probably works better than what I did. I just took some 1/2" and 3/4" long hex head screws and went into the knobs....works good for me! was able to pull wheelies with no problem in 2nd and 3rd gear

• rufusz

Posted January 27, 2009 - 12:21 AM

WOW great video!

I see you put screws in from the inside....that probably works better than what I did. I just took some 1/2" and 3/4" long hex head screws and went into the knobs....works good for me! was able to pull wheelies with no problem in 2nd and 3rd gear

Thx :lol:

I've used different screws for front and rear : 8mm x 45mm for rear and 6mm x 45mm for front (not 100% sure, because I did it last year), did not pre-drill the knobs, this way you don't cut the mesh inside the rubber (patented technology :lol:, cause everyone else took it to a guy who made it for them and pre-drilled the holes to make it easier to do a lot of tires, and they were wondering, why are their tires lasting a half-winter-season only? ). When the screws showed up on the outer side, they were so hot, you couldn't touch them :lol: And we put some rubber on the inside, to protect the tube from getting punched. I saw people using screws like you used, only on go-karts, not bikes, probably takes up more time to do also. You have to pre-drill, use screw, 2 washers, nut. Did you cut the end of the screw that was hanging out from the nut? You could cut it with some hand tool, that leaves an angled, sharp edge (hope you understand what I mean).
How much side grip do you have with your setup? How well do they grip when you lean the bike ? With "our" setup, you are able to ride like supermoto. Guys that ride good, lean the bike like hell, handlebar is almost touching the ground :p
But again going full throttle with opposite lock is also a fast way around the track, just have to learn it. Problem is, there are 5 degrees Celsius outside and it's raining :banana: Hope to get some ass-freezing-colds in February.

• bluebreadtruck

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:34 AM

this was the first time i had ridden my wr on the ice. I literally just used sheet metal screws into the rubber, they dont stick out far enough to go all the way through the tire. I think the grip was great, but i wasent dragging pegs or bars....... Like i said, i was just getting used to the feeling, but im sure my way wouldent last as long as what you do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.