Trying to make a descision on bikes...

46 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:23 PM

I love my 450 even in the tight woods. For me, the smooth power delivery makes it easier to ride than a 250 smoker, which by the way, I also have ('02 YZ250). IMO, the advantages of the 450 outweigh the slight advantage that a smoker might have in the weight department, like when I need to make a pass on somebody in the woods but with only limited opportunities you need to make the most of it by being able to lay down some heavy tractable HP in a moments notice. Braaaap!

If you are concerned about cost/resale you can pick a brand new leftover '07 or '08 YZ450 for dirt cheap too.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ditto! +1:thumbsup:

• Sierra_rider

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:12 PM

In my opinion, for tight single track riding you can't beat the 2t. My yz is quick and nimble in the woods while being stable at speed with my Scotts damper. In high speed sections it feels like it lacks enough power, but then I twist the throttle a little farther and it solves that. Still, it is no 450. In the future, I wouldn't mind picking up a 450 and setting it up as a GP/desert bike.:banana:

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted January 28, 2009 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the replies.

For the short amount of trail time I have had on each bike, the 2 stroke was way easier to ride.... and its set up for motocross! I also rode an RM250 with softer suspension and the only part that I found myself out of sorts on was the lack of engine braking. Otherwise, it was almost as easy as my 250F to ride.

The 450 I rode took me longer to get used to it but I knew I could after a couple of days on one. I'd be really interested in riding one that's been set up the way I want. This one was a bone stock '07 model. Crazy fast. Where I would be in 3rd on my 250F I would be in 1st or 2nd on the big bike. If they made a 350F there wouldn't be a problem making a choice.

I have zero issues about the reliability factor of the YZF.

I do find it interesting that in the city where I live, there are way more 450's than any other bike. But, even more interesting is that at the HS races, there are way many more 2 strokes. hmmm.....

Also, in the 2 stroke forum nobody is telling me to go with a 450. Even in this forum some people are saying to go with the 2 stroke. Maybe I should buy one of those sweet chinese enduro bikes. lol

Either way I'll be happy on whatever bike I choose. Nice having good opinions on here though..... much appreciated!

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted January 28, 2009 - 05:52 PM

For what you wanna do, DS, I recommend the YZ250 2t. It sounds like you ride/race mostly woods, where falling and restarting can be an issue. I've found that a 2t will fire a lot easier than a 4t when they're dumped (it seems to be the nature of the beast), and the 2t takes less energy to kick over.

Having said that, I ride an 07 YZ450 because 85% of my riding time is spent on the MX track, where IMHO, a 4t beats a 2t hands down for a Vet Junior (B/C for you Americans) rider.

Good luck in your season with whatever you choose.

Whereabouts in BC do you ride?? I grew up in Sparwood, in the East Kootenays.

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted January 28, 2009 - 07:37 PM

I'm in Kamloops, the worst place to ride ...ever!

lol

• Family Man

Posted January 28, 2009 - 09:35 PM

If you dont think 2 strokes are good on an mx or sx track just watch any moto vid from 5 years ago. They can go fast, baby, real fast. Also, top end jobs on the 2t are easyier and cheaper.

• DMC707

Posted January 28, 2009 - 10:05 PM

If you dont think 2 strokes are good on an mx or sx track just watch any moto vid from 5 years ago. They can go fast, baby, real fast. Also, top end jobs on the 2t are easyier and cheaper.

hell, even 25 years ago

• DPW

Posted January 29, 2009 - 05:54 AM

If they made a 350F there wouldn't be a problem making a choice.

an '08-09 with the stock "shorty" exhaust and a GYTR Off-road Flywheel would be close to the power you are looking for.

• mazzuca21366

Posted January 29, 2009 - 08:31 AM

I came off a 2005 yz250f. Bought a 450 in sept of 2008. I ride fire roads and street. Big power difference from the 250 to 450. I am very happy with the 450.

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted January 29, 2009 - 10:35 AM

If I was riding fire roads and street I would buy a 530exc. lol

Yea, the 12oz fww on the '08/'09 is the way I would go if I buy a 350, err... 450 I mean. :banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Adammoto

Posted January 29, 2009 - 11:09 AM

Sanchez:

Earlier this winter, a few buddies and I did some back-to-back testing with Yamaha 125, 144, 250, 250f, a Suzuki 450fi, and KTM 200 and 250s. We race A class hare scrambles. The goal was to find the fastest, least tiring bike for our courses. We laid out a short track (about 10 mins) with a good mix of terrain and timed laps over and over again.

I've been a dedicated KTM 2-stroke guy for a while, but I was fastest on the YZ250f. The KTM 250 is very good a slow speeds, but does worse as the trails gets faster or the traction gets worse.

I could never get comfortable on the YZ250 2t. The suspesion kills the KTM but the motor is too difficult to control. The wheel just wants to spin unless you have perfect dirt, so I was always fishtailing out of corners and whatnot, looking like Barry Hawk trying not to crash. Plus, the bike actually feels more top-heavy than their 250f. Strange but that was my observation.

As you might expect, the Suzuki 450 was fast on the open sections of the track. But I found it to be too difficult to control in tighter trails. You have to be perfect with the throttle hand because a little mistake can cost you big. I made a mistake and dumped it once.

Be realistic about your local soil conditions and your ability. We ride in the four corners region where traction is often limited, so the easy to control 250f is excellent. Maybe you can control the YZ250 if you ride loam all day. Also, I'm a good rider, but I'm no David Knight. I'd rather ride a 250f with perfect technique, thus saving energy, than flail on a 450.

My theory is that Americans just love bigger, faster, more powerful everything and so they choose 450s. But most of us actually do much better on a bike that is slightly underpowered once in a while rather than overpowered most of the time.

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted January 29, 2009 - 11:50 AM

Adammoto, that was great advice.

I loved my 250F and I felt fast on it. It seemed mistake proof, as in, I could blip the throttle and nothing would happen. :banana: The only fault I could give the 250F is it lacks a little of oomph on the bigger hills and high speed stuff. Slow and technical there wasn't an easier bike to ride.

Where I live, the climate is semi arid. Most of the trails are super dry and dusty with high speed sections and monster hills. But if we venture back into the mountains a little, we can find super tight loamy, rocky, muddy trails all year round.

I would agree that a 450 is too much for most people a lot of the time, that's why I'm on the fence about getting one. Your last statement is so true. I've been on rides where I've dropped guys on 450's and out climbed them.

The 250F is nice in the tight but lacks the punch I want when the trail opens up. I'd like a bike that's in between the two, so that leaves me with the options of buying a 250 two stroke or a heavily de-tuned 450.

• LEMMON1

Posted January 29, 2009 - 12:06 PM

Adammoto, that was great advice.

I loved my 250F and I felt fast on it. It seemed mistake proof, as in, I could blip the throttle and nothing would happen. :banana: The only fault I could give the 250F is it lacks a little of oomph on the bigger hills and high speed stuff. Slow and technical there wasn't an easier bike to ride.

Where I live, the climate is semi arid. Most of the trails are super dry and dusty with high speed sections and monster hills. But if we venture back into the mountains a little, we can find super tight loamy, rocky, muddy trails all year round.

I would agree that a 450 is too much for most people a lot of the time, that's why I'm on the fence about getting one. Your last statement is so true. I've been on rides where I've dropped guys on 450's and out climbed them.

The 250F is nice in the tight but lacks the punch I want when the trail opens up. I'd like a bike that's in between the two, so that leaves me with the options of buying a 250 two stroke or a heavily de-tuned 450.

although ive never done any HS's but my point of view is this...a 2 smoker is fun to use...but in comp u def i think hafta work harder for it...a 250f vs the 450 is very comparble to lap times with the same rider for the most part...

what i noticed in the 450 class is it did tire me more qucikly but it got me outta sum sticky situations. at the same time there was more diffiuclt to manuaver in corners i felt cause of hte weight.

with a 250f i lasted much longer but almost like a 2 smoker i had to work to much harder in areas to make it go as fast as a 450.

its funny how u mention a 350f...my logic is to create a sleeper...i say take that 250f u have, slap a big bore of at least a 290 kit..get sum motor work say from williamsmotorwerks with the custom work he does slap on a exhaust aftermarket suspesion and ull have a killer ride ! all for a price much cheaper than that of gettin rid of ur current ride for a loss and then buyin a overpriced new ride that u may not be happy with

ull have the advantages of the 250f with poower like that of a 2 smoker but much much more usable and easier to control thus now wearin u out as fast

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted January 29, 2009 - 12:26 PM

Well, I don't have a bike right now, nor would I put a big bore kit on a 250F if I had one.

I might be able to afford a new bike, but I want to spend the least on mods that I can. That's the problem with the 250F - I'd want to spend too much money on it.

There's just too much of a gap between the thumpers for guys my size and weight. :banana:

• LEMMON1

Posted January 29, 2009 - 12:31 PM

Well, I don't have a bike right now, nor would I put a big bore kit on a 250F if I had one.

I might be able to afford a new bike, but I want to spend the least on mods that I can. That's the problem with the 250F - I'd want to spend too much money on it.

There's just too much of a gap between the thumpers for guys my size and weight. :banana:

ah crap my bad i forgot u didnt have a bike anymore...but y wouldnt u wana put a BB on? plenty of guys done it on the 250 forum and they said its absoulty great

• Adammoto

Posted January 29, 2009 - 12:40 PM

How much do you weigh?

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted January 29, 2009 - 12:40 PM

Way too many people saying the power signs off too early, for one. A good friend of mine who I trust his judgement rode a BB kit'ed 250F and he confirmed that it was completely uninspiring. Actually a couple of local guys whom I trust have said the same.

But that point is moot. I'm not buying another 250F so it doesn't matter what my feelings are on BB kits.

P.S. 175lbs my birthday suit.

• LEMMON1

Posted January 29, 2009 - 12:48 PM

well i heardve heard and read a couple of things relating to the same thing...

a major fix is gettin cams to fx that

but, its also believed that it doesnt nessarily sign off but its overshadowed more cuase of hte huge increas in the lower to mid end... which ismore of whati believe

but to each their own

ps...internet explorer 8 sux

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted January 29, 2009 - 12:56 PM

well i heardve heard and read a couple of things relating to the same thing...

a major fix is gettin cams to fx that

but, its also believed that it doesnt nessarily sign off but its overshadowed more cuase of hte huge increas in the lower to mid end... which ismore of whati believe

but to each their own

ps...internet explorer 8 sux

P.S. I am not buying another 250F. :banana:

I trust my friends' judgement enough that when they say they didn't like it then I probably wouldn't either.

...enough with the 250F talk mmkay?

• Adammoto

Posted January 29, 2009 - 01:00 PM

Sounds like you want to try something else. I don't blame you, learning to ride a new machine is fun. Maybe by the time you're getting tired of that next bike, whatever it is, you'll be able to walk into a dealership and buy a 350fi...now wouldn't that be nice? Good luck Sanchez

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.