Rear Shock Leaking - What are my options

10 replies to this topic
  • locorider

Posted January 25, 2009 - 06:55 AM

Hi. I have noticed a couple of drops of oil on the trailer under the rear shock after our last couple of rides.

What are my options here.

Is this something I can service myself ?
If so would I need any special tools ?
Where can I find a procedure on doing it ?

Thanks.

• yamaha 422

Posted January 25, 2009 - 06:58 AM

I would not attempt it myself. I don't like a spring shooting at me with all that pressure. I sent mine to Factory Connection

• gregory25

Posted January 25, 2009 - 07:21 AM

It sounds like you have a bad shock seal, if you have no training in rear shock rebuilding i would send it out to be repaired.

• nickeenoo

Posted January 25, 2009 - 08:13 AM

I would not attempt it myself. I don't like a spring shooting at me with all that pressure. I sent mine to Factory Connection

It sounds like you have a bad shock seal, if you have no training in rear shock rebuilding i would send it out to be repaired.

You guys crack me up; next you're gonna say the sky is falling or something like that. It's a rear shock not a bomb.

If you have reasonable mechanical skills follow these instructions from Dave J at Smart Performance and you should be fine. If you don't have any skills then you probably should send it out.

Also note that the pressure setting Dave recommends are for use with his fluid only. If you use a conventional fluid fill the pressure to manufacturer specs. Also remember to write down your settings before you tear it all apart.

http://smartperforma...HOCKREBUILD.htm

• locorider

Posted January 25, 2009 - 12:07 PM

Thanks. Any good places to buy the parts needed, seal etc.

For the guys that do send it in, how much does a rebuild typically run ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zaj 243

Posted January 25, 2009 - 03:33 PM

If you can rebuild it yourself, go to your local shop and get a moose racing complete seal head. I think they run 30-40 bucks, but its a drop on seal head and the quality seems great for all the ones i've installed. If you send it out be prepared to spend in excess of $100 + shipping. Shocks aren't hard to rebuild, but it is very important to take your time to get all the air out upon reassembly.

• locorider

Posted January 25, 2009 - 03:45 PM

Thanks.

How about one of these kits, does it have everything I will need or do I still need to buy a seal head ?

http://www.oemcycle....m/product/5669/

• locorider

Posted January 25, 2009 - 03:48 PM

Sorry for the quick blurbs, but where can I get the nitrogen canister refilled ? Anybody have an idea what that costs ?

I am going to try this myself, just trying to make sure I have all the bases covered.

• Zaj 243

Posted January 25, 2009 - 04:01 PM

That kit would work, I'm not sure what year your bike is but bladders don't usually need replacing very often. That kit gives you the bushing and seal that install in the stock seal head, and they can be a pain to remove and replace. The moose unit is cheaper, your local shop should be able to get it next day, and it pre-assembled, just slide it over the shock shaft and re-install your shim stacks. Getting it recharged should be as easy as taking it to a decent bike repair shop, it only takes a minute to do. Some welding supply shops also have nitrogen and can charge it to the level needed.

• locorider

Posted January 25, 2009 - 04:05 PM

Is this the moose unit I need ?

http://www.oemcycle....C_450FE-E_03-04

If I don't need the rest then I will just go with this and call it a day.

Thanks for all the help. I am mechanically inclined, have just never done a rear shock.

Edit- the bike is an 04

• Zaj 243

Posted January 25, 2009 - 04:50 PM

yep thats the kit, i think that would be the way to go for you. Make sure you check the chrome on the shock shaft for dents, chips, or gouges. Any sharp edges can tear the seal causing a leak, but seals also can just plain wear out, especially if your shock hasn't been serviced in its 5 years of use.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.