cam degreeing

5 replies to this topic
  • sabin

Posted February 06, 2003 - 12:15 PM

I think my cam has slipped on the sprocket. Can someone provide some data about opening and close degrees for yz426 (or yz/wr 4xx)

10x a lot!!!

• Hick

Posted February 06, 2003 - 12:44 PM

I copied these down from another poster a long time ago:

YZ timing is:
Intake 113 atdc
Exhaust 101 btdc

(I assume this is at .10 inches of lift) :)

So WR Exhaust would be 112.35?? :D

You should probably send a PM to SFO or Taffy to verify this, they will know first hand what the timing is.

Hope this helps.

• Taffy

Posted February 06, 2003 - 01:29 PM

if you're indexing the cams it has to be done at maximum lift. if you can get to 108 degrees on both cams you'll be ok.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sabin

Posted February 06, 2003 - 01:51 PM

Do you mean separation lobe angle?

10x!

• Taffy

Posted February 06, 2003 - 10:54 PM

sabin

no, i'm saying that you measure the lift of the cam by measuring the actual bucket (and shim) dropping down (i.e. the valve opening) and when it is at maximum lift you will have the same reading over about 3-5d of crankshaft movement. annoying i know but it's the truth. after rolling the engine back and forward several times you will get a d(degree) that you're happy is 'it'.

you need 108d, ok?

Taffy

• sabin

Posted February 06, 2003 - 11:30 PM

Thanks Taffy. I got it right this time :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.