Losing Oil!!

4 replies to this topic
  • jbowen13

Posted January 24, 2009 - 08:43 PM

-Just wondering if anyone had experienced this sort of thing. Today I went riding quite a bit, I probably put at least 2 hrs on the bike mostly on a mx track. It was really cold today, like 15F, and when I started the bike it was burning quite a bit of oil for like 30 seconds. Which I had never noticed before, but it went away so I rode all day anyway. I just got back home and checked the oil and am near the bottom X on the stick. I just changed the oil last night and it was on the top line. Did it burn that much oil? And should I be worried?? Thanks ahead of time guys.
EDIT: Oh, its an 06 YZ450... less than 15 hrs on top end.

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 24, 2009 - 09:23 PM

-Just wondering if anyone had experienced this sort of thing. Today I went riding quite a bit, I probably put at least 2 hrs on the bike mostly on a mx track. It was really cold today, like 15F, and when I started the bike it was burning quite a bit of oil for like 30 seconds. Which I had never noticed before, but it went away so I rode all day anyway. I just got back home and checked the oil and am near the bottom X on the stick. I just changed the oil last night and it was on the top line. Did it burn that much oil? And should I be worried?? Thanks ahead of time guys.
EDIT: Oh, its an 06 YZ450... less than 15 hrs on top end.

ok, so this could be a number of things. first: are you sure that it was oil smoke, and not just because it was cold outside? Second: if it was oil smoke, usually when it burns oil at startup, then goes away it is valve guides leaking. Third: if it wasnt oil smoke, the oil could have been blown out the crankcase breather tube. Did you run it hard?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbowen13

Posted January 24, 2009 - 10:50 PM

well, It was oil smoke for sure (blue tint), but it only lasted for like 15 seconds or maybe a little longer. I did run it pretty hard, but im only a mediocre b rider, so its not like I was riding it to its limits. I never though of the breather tube... huh. It doesn't smoke at all if I start it in the heated shop. So should i even worry about this or ignore it??

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 25, 2009 - 05:12 PM

well, It was oil smoke for sure (blue tint), but it only lasted for like 15 seconds or maybe a little longer. I did run it pretty hard, but im only a mediocre b rider, so its not like I was riding it to its limits. I never though of the breather tube... huh. It doesn't smoke at all if I start it in the heated shop. So should i even worry about this or ignore it??

personally, with the symptoms you described, I would just ignore it, unless you notice it getting worse.

• jbowen13

Posted January 25, 2009 - 07:00 PM

I will definitely keep an eye on it.. im kinda new to the thumpers coming from a 03 cr250 smoker (well i guess now they both smoke).. haha. Just didn't want to screw something up and ruin the bottom end via catastrophic failure or something. Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.