16 tooth front sprocket on YZ426

6 replies to this topic
  • pscook

Posted January 24, 2009 - 07:09 PM

Anyone install a 16 tooth front sprocket on a 426? I did a dry run with a left over sprocket from another model bike and the o-ring chain appeared to foul the case in front of the sprocket. If anyone has experience (successfully) installing this large of a sprocket let me know.

• pscook

Posted January 25, 2009 - 01:20 PM

Okay, how about on a 450? Any clearance issues on any of the YZ models?

• KJ790

Posted January 25, 2009 - 01:30 PM

I think 15 may be about as big as you can go in the front without clearance issues, but you have to change the case saver to do that. Why don't you do 15 in the front and then go down in the rear? Just out of curiosity, why do you need such high gearing anyways?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pscook

Posted January 25, 2009 - 04:32 PM

I am going to be using the 426 as a Supermoto and road race bike. Our big track has a pretty long front straight, where even the real bikes tap against the rev limiter at 175+, so anything that I can do to keep my bike healthy is a good thing. I can get sprockets down to 36 in the rear, I think, but I would like to be able to run a 16/41 if necessary instead of a 15/38, due to chain interference with the chain guide and etc. My 15 fits with the case saver as it is, I know for a fact that the case saver won't fit with the 16. I don't have a non o-ring chain to test this out, heck I can't even get the 16 past the chain slider on the front of the swingarm.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2009 - 08:53 PM

You should be able to cut out a notch in the front of the slider and have it clear that way. The chain guide ("case saver") can be modifed by slotting the upper mounting hole, or a custom guide can be made.

• pscook

Posted January 26, 2009 - 02:50 PM

You should be able to cut out a notch in the front of the slider and have it clear that way. The chain guide ("case saver") can be modifed by slotting the upper mounting hole, or a custom guide can be made.

That is what I am going to do this afternoon when I get home. My question was more about how to keep the chain from rubbing against the case in front of the sprocket, and if a non-o-ring chain would help with that. I may try to see if I can slip a washer behind the sprocket to space it away from the case a bit, I will keep everyone posted. but if someone already has experience with this, i am all about hearing how this worked (or did not) for you.

• pscook

Posted January 26, 2009 - 05:26 PM

Got it on, I only needed to modify the slider a little bit. I snipped a 45 degree chunk off of the inboard forward lower corner as it wraps around the swingarm, and left the outboard (visible) lip for a little structural integrity. Tomorrow I get to slot the holes in the case saver for that added insurance.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.